Rock Opera / Concept Album: The Picasso Album (working title)

Started by FuzzFace, September 10, 2010, 12:10:56 PM

Ferryman

Thoughts on production. Do we really need to go through a production job on these tracks? As I am hearing the finished articles, they are all sounding pretty damn good to me. I think we originally intended there would be more collabs and perhaps passing of stuff around as we built up the tracks, so there would be more need for me to get involved. But most folks are just picking these up and running with them, and they are all sounding pretty good to me. I don't think going through a "production" phase at the end will actually add that much, it will definitely take a long time and the logistics of sharing wav files will be a bit of a pain.

What do folks think? This whole project seems to have really taken off and is going in a great direction and I don't want to slow it down for marginal benefit (and a lot of work).

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

I would say it's not necessary however it's nice as an option for anyone who would like to outsource production.

If I actually record one of these myself I would enlist your help, because I'm a real novice in terms of production.

Ferryman

Quote from: FuzzFace on October 04, 2010, 12:31:45 PMI would say it's not necessary however it's nice as an option for anyone who would like to outsource production.

If I actually record one of these myself I would enlist your help, because I'm a real novice in terms of production.

OK that makes a lot of sense. I'm here to help if anyone needs it, otherwise if folks are happy with what they have done, let's just go with it. I would like time to do one of the songs, which I probably would not have had the time to do if I were producing them all.

As fas as I can see, the following have not been taken yet:

Demoiselles D'Avignon
Blind Minotaur (led by a girl)
Dove of Peace

On reading the lyrics, I actually would like to do the Blind Minotaur. I did say I would take Dove of Peace if no one else did, but the lyrics are wonderful and need a sensitive touch, which I definitely don't have. my music is too dark and clumsy, a bit like a blind Minotaur. So if no one else has opted for that, I will take that one.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

About Blind Minotaur, I know from PM'ing that cuthbert expressed a passing interest, so you may want to just check with him to see if he's started down that path.

I am toying with doing Dove of Peace myself.

Ferryman

OK, thanks, I'm relaxed about that, I will check with him. Happy to help out on the final track if you want. But I don't want to lead it because my own ideas will be unsuitable, I know before I start.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Latest list after some updates (I chatted with Cuth about Minotaur):

Cup of Coffee - Gritter 

The Lovers - Geir

Barcelona Beach - Bluesberry

Desmoiselles d'Avignon - OPEN

Salomé - Cuthbert

Boy Leading A Horse - Henwrench

Blind Minotaur (Led By A Girl) - Ferryman (Nigel)

Guernica - Facemask 93 and AK

The Old Guitarist - Launched 

Joie de Vivre - Honker, plus an acoustic version with Fuzz Face

The Dove of Peace - Poss Fuzz face   

Did I get that right?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Final thoughts on production - if anyone wants production help, lmk and I will assist. Henwrench suggested that everyone send me the final stereo mix in .wav form so that I can do some light mastering to equalize volume and perhaps tweak eq. That seems like a good idea to me, so when you are ready, let me have 'em. But no pressure if you would rather not - everything is voluntary here.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Man this is becoming to be a very fun and interesting project.  Lets hear it for Fuzzface who got this whole thing really rolling, and provided a huge inspiration in his incredible lyrics/poems, brilliant stuff I say.  This is really fun guys.  Lets get some more songs done up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

FuzzFace

This is super-inspiring.

I'm picturing this as a musical stage-play, where people in costumes dressed as the subjects of the paintings step out of the frames and interact with the main character.

This could be visually as well as sonically mind-blowing!

Gritter

Quote from: FuzzFace on October 04, 2010, 02:04:34 PMThis is super-inspiring.

I'm picturing this as a musical stage-play, where people in costumes dressed as the subjects of the paintings step out of the frames and interact with the main character.

This could be visually as well as sonically mind-blowing!

Like Mummenschanz!!!