Total Disaster - no recording , i'm gutted

Started by Facemask93, September 09, 2010, 10:30:24 AM

Facemask93

Last year we had the privilidge of meeting a guy called Ralph Danks , who is the ex husband of a dear friend of ours called Jeanette , who has sung and played guitar with us for about 20 years , anyway , it turns out that Ralph , who now lives and works as quite a successfull artist in Japan , was a bit of a Guitarist back in the the day , having played with such names as Elvis , Dion , Three Dog Night , and also opening for The Beatles and the Stones in Paris , anyway , Jeanette tells us that Ralph is visiting and would like to jam one night , well that night , was last night .
Being somewhat nervous we turned up at Jeanettes house , set up the BR-800 and worked our way through AK's songs and a few others that we had rehearsed , had a most surreal night , his old Strat had the most amazing sound , it was just the best night ever .
Well , we said our goodbye's and i could'nt wait to get home and listen to what we'd recorded , i connected the BR back up to my home setup , pressed play------------------------------------------------------AND NOTHING , NO SOUND , i'd forgotten to create a new song as we began the night , i'd just pressed play and record and got the level's right and started playing , what a fucking total idiot , i've been so depressed today , i cannot even begin to descibe how i feel , and i have'nt even told AK yet

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

launched

Oh, good god that's horrible, Rob. I'm glad you found the reserve and restraint not to smash that thing.

So I'm sorry to hear what happened, bro - Just awful.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Facemask93

Believe me , the nights not over yet Mark , it could still go under the hammer , that how i feel , but thanks for your comment mate , i know you have lost stuff in the past

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

cuthbert

Oh man, that sucks Rob...it's happened to me before with the MBR, but usually just a single track, and usually just me, which means...retake!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Gritter

I feel for you Rob. That can be so frustrating...but remember the great feeling of being in the moment, jamming...As much as it would be great to have the night documented, the memory of it can be strong and satisfying.

Tony W

That hurt just reading it Rob. I feel horrible for you.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Quote from: facemask93 on September 09, 2010, 10:39:42 AMit could still go under the hammer

Wrap it in 2ft thick rubber first, then mail the contents to henwrench c/o henwrench towers...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Facemask93

At last , somethings just made made me laugh , Henny , you crack me up you mad BASTARD

THANKS

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

64Guitars

Quote from: facemask93 on September 09, 2010, 10:30:24 AMi'd forgotten to create a new song as we began the night , i'd just pressed play and record and got the level's right and started playing

If you didn't create a new song, it would still record to the current song. If nothing was recorded, then I think you probably forgot to press Record, and only pressed Play.

Another possibility is that the counter wasn't on 00:00:00 when you started recording. If so, your recording will be okay but you'll have to locate its start. Have a look at the V-Tracks screen (see page 39 of the BR-800 manual). If the currently-selected v-tracks contain any data, they'll be shown as solid boxes. V-tracks which show empty boxes also contain data but they're not currently selected. Any other symbol means the v-track is empty.

If you find v-tracks containing data but you don't hear any sound when those v-tracks are selected, try looking at them in Sonar. That should show you where the data is so that you can set the BR-800's counter to the right position to hear the data. Or just listen to it in Sonar.

If you're not yet comfortable with Sonar, you might find it easier to use the BR Wave Converter to export all of the tracks from your BR-800 as WAV files. Then load each WAV file into Audacity so you can see where the data is.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Facemask93

Hi 64 , i had just formatted a brand new 8 Gig card that Roland had sent me , and i definately pressed record and play because i kept glancing down at the beginning of the recording to see , but when i got home and found no recording , i pressed the track button , and that was when i saw that there was no solid blocks under tracks 1 & 2

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper