Selling Albums

Started by Pipes, September 08, 2010, 01:06:08 PM

Pipes

Hi Guys...

As a matter of interest...Do you think it is ok to sell our original work via Songcrafters..Albums etc
The subject may be a trifle controversial....?
 I was wondering what you guys think? as it dosn't hurt to open a discussion regarding this..
Cheers
Nick

henwrench

I've been selling my album 'Wrong Songs' after placing an 'advert' on these very pages. Collabers were sent free copies and others have sent me postal orders, cheques, paid in via PayPal and one amazing person visited me in the shadow of St Michaels Mount to pick a copy in person. I've sold copies in local music shops and sold copies via www.henwrench.weebly.com. The cost of the CD is purley to cover the outlay of the discs, jewel cases, printed covers and postage.

I will shortly be sending a copy overseas, which will help me to establish 'AirMail' postage costs.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pipes

Great info Henrench, thanks..
I am a bit unknowing when it comes to band or artist promotion. I guess one has to be imaginative these days and slog away at it!!!...

64Guitars

This is something that the admin team needs to discuss. Please don't advertise anything at Songcrafters until we've discussed it and reached a decision. We'll let you know.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Dmann

Not that I even qualify for having input, but my opinion on the matter is to suggest you use an online service such as iTunes or soundclick, and then Put a link in your sig saying "Click here to buy my music."

Geir

One thought struck me.

Only a few of the songcrafters members have come to the point yet where they have an album ready. And those who have, have posted most of the songs that are on those CD's here for us so we don't really "need" to buy the albums to get their music. I think if that is the case, say that if at least half (or maybe even all) of the songs have been posted here it would be OK to have a little advert here to let us know where we can buy it if we want to.

This policy would prevent us from beeing flooded by people just wanting to promote their music.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

T.C. Elliott

On the 50/90 and FAWM sites they have a forum for 'self promotion' in which you can talk about yourself all you want. Or sell your stuff, or mention your upcoming gig... whatever.

They also have a prominent 'recent threads' button that will take all the posts, regardless of forum, in a nice easy listing based on last post. I've noticed lately that we have an unread message button, or a message since last visit button, which I've not used yet. They might be similar.

My point being, it's accepted, but it is also easy to ignore if a user wanted to do so. I for one would like to know when users here have music for sale. And I doubt we would be inundated with 'outsiders' just coming here to post albums for sale. There really isn't that many advertised on FAWM and we have a lot of members. 10,000 songs were written and posted in 28 days last February.

But I also understand the importance of keeping a clean site and the extra work that advertisement could impose on the staff. I'll respect their decision as always.

t.c.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Greeny

This is quite a tricky subject, IMO. It's one thing to have established, participating members of this site letting everyone know they have CD's for sale, but quite another to have random, unknown chancers trying to flog us stuff. Unfortunately, if we start allowing 'advertisements' for music, we might be opening up the floodgates for people who are not part of the community. I totally agree with Dmann that having a 'click here to buy' link is a much cleaner way of doing it. And maybe we could have a little avatar / graphic for our posts that says 'new album out now' or something. Although in my case, that'll be one a month, lol.

peterp

Another association board I participate on,
allows members to post self promo/sales type stuff to a seperate forum.

But they only gain access to post to to that forum after getting the privilage turned on by the moderator.

That stops flyby spammers, and allows other members to view or not view the material as they wish.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

henwrench

Quote from: peterp on September 09, 2010, 09:06:38 AMAnother association board I am participate on,
allows members to post self promo/sales type stuff to a seperate forum.

But they only gain access to post to to that forum after getting the privilage turned on by the moderator.

That stops flyby spammers, and allows other members to view or not view the material as they wish.

That sounds cool.
    In my own case, here on SongCrafters, it was less of an 'advert' and more of a 'heads up', and only after I'd sought permission from 64Guitars. I've managed to piss enough people off here in the past, so now try to moderate my views and always run any post that may be deemed 'controversial' by our very own 64.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR