Songcrafters Rock Opera?

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

tom r

This sounds like its starting to come together. best to keep the storyline simple as noted earlier. We need a main character (s) who goes on some kind of journey which could be physical but certainly needs to be emotional in some way. There also needs to be an issue which comes to some knid of resolution by the end of the piece.
I like the idea of a narrator.

How about getting a list of contributors together and the story then randomly dish out a sections? makes it a bit more excitig=ng and challenging? We can do our own vocals and if nec we can redo songs with one or two singers later? by the way:
I got my copy of SF Sorrow out last night by the Pretty Things. I'd forgot how good it was. Anyone else got this album?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Gu Djin

Been a bit poorly this last couple of weeks so I've got behind with what's going on.  But have just found a few minutes to read - through and have a bit of a laugh.

Thar's enough idea's and raw material here to produce a twentyfour hour epic.

Someone will have to wield a knife to trim this to a comfortable size. Now who's that "popular person goin'a be?   Actually that could be made into a theme - The Directors cuts"?!
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Geir

Been following this thread with increasing interest :D

I have a few thoughts on making it a consistent/coherent project.

1. The overall sound.
I think some guidelines on mixing and patches used for guitar/bass/vocals would benefit the project. Also I think one person (or small group 2-3) should do the final mastering (it may be a good idea to send separate music and vocal tracks to make it easier to get an approximately same balance between music and vocals throughout the project).

2. Vocals.
Quote from: Blooby on September 01, 2010, 02:53:42 PMJust a suggestion.  Why not have one or two vocalists for the entire project to give it some continuity?
I have had almost the same thought. At least the roles in the story should have designated vocalists. 1 or 2 I think is too few. But if the storyline could be written to have some more roles, more people would be give the chance to sing. But I really think it's important to have the same singer in the same role throughout the whole thing.

3. "Administrating" the project.
I think more than one person is needed for this. One (of the admins?) should be in charge of the main project, deciding who get's what part/song to play, and keeping an overview of the progress. One person should have the role of coordinating the songs lyrics-wise, that is, be a consultant for all the songwriters on the lyrics. This may or may not be the person who writes the story outline. And as mentioned in 1., one to do the collection of the songs and do the final mastering.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Count me in. I need a framework!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

Count me in. I need a framework!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Geir makes some good points, especially on the production side. A big decision needs to be made. Will this be a "loose" collaboration (a bunch of individual tracks with a connecting theme), or is the idea to produce a coherent virtual album? If the latter, some consistency of production will be required so that we get the overall sound, balance and levels that make the whole thing hang together.

I'll put myself up for production assistance if it is decided that is needed.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Quote from: Ferryman on September 02, 2010, 04:07:11 AMI'll put myself up for production assistance if it is decided that is needed.
That would be the right man for the job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

cuthbert

Quote from: tom r on September 02, 2010, 12:34:50 AM...We can do our own vocals and if nec we can redo songs with one or two singers later? by the way:
I got my copy of SF Sorrow out last night by the Pretty Things. I'd forgot how good it was. Anyone else got this album?

I was thinking the same about the contributions...that might be an interesting experiment.

S.F. Sorrow is great! I mean 'born'!  ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

I agree with Geir and Nigel and Geir  :) - one way to reinforce cohesiveness is to have a single hand adding production polish to all of the songs.

Geir also makes a good point about having the same vocalist for any songs in the voice of a particular character in the story - that makes a lot of sense.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

tom r

So we have Fuzz as director and Ferryman is production?
who fancies the main singing parts then? come come don't be shy ;-)
I've a fancy for being a dirty old lobster man but thats another story.......

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound