Songcrafters Rock Opera?

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

Ferryman

This has been a great thread and I've enjoyed it. I won't add any more ideas to the already confused melting pot. I agree that if we do it this would replace all fests until it's done. I'll try to help out wherever possible in whatever way needed, time permitting.

I may be in a minority of one but I always hated "Tommy" with a vengeance for some reason. Preferred "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" and the like....

Any of you old folks remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENblHOxi1c4

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I love that Keith West song! It's almost too poignant though - always makes me a little sad for some reason.

Even better than Tommy (in my opinion) is a strange little concept album by a band called Nirvana (no not THAT Nirvana). This one came from the late sixties and were pretty psychedelic. Their album 'The Story of Simon Simopath' was a mini, 25 minute rock opera telling the story of a boy who wanted to become a space pilot. This is the best song on there. Not to everyone's taste, but it a special favourite album of mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qjUoFR_tA

I f*cking love the cover too....

Kevin Mammoth

For a while I've been interested in the idea of trying to do made to order songs - I've always admired those tunesmiths who could just write great songs, often for other people, across a range of styles - so I'm interested to the idea of being asked to write say a 3 minute piece about a career man falling to pieces, or even turning into a lobster.

But at this point I feel like a bit of an imposter - with my glacial work rate I'd probably be turfed off the project in no time by Das Rockenfuhrer - I've been working on the same song for about 3 months now and have f*** all to show for it...
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Bluesberry

Quote from: Kevin Mammoth on September 01, 2010, 04:54:43 AMBut at this point I feel like a bit of an imposter - with my glacial work rate I'd probably be turfed off the project in no time by Das Rockenfuhrer - I've been working on the same song for about 3 months now and have f*** all to show for it...
Don't feel bad about that Kevin, I am slow too, I have been working on my latest song for over a month and like you, nothing to show anybody yet.  Lots of us folks work slow on our own stuff.  But sometimes it is refreshing to get a set of limitations and just crank one out, not to the usual nit-picky way, but just get-er-done.  I am always pleasantly surprised in my results under this kind thing.  Your music is damn fine, so take whatever time you need to get your songs done.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: Kevin Mammoth on September 01, 2010, 04:54:43 AMBut at this point I feel like a bit of an imposter - with my glacial work rate I'd probably be turfed off the project in no time by Das Rockenfuhrer - I've been working on the same song for about 3 months now and have f*** all to show for it...

Sounds like a fast work rate to me! I too am glacial, don't worry about it. But it can be fun to do something quick and different occasionally, and this might be it.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

Quote from: Gnasty on August 31, 2010, 10:09:44 PMThis does sound very cool but i really think that there has to be a leader. Someone must take the helm.

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here.

I would volunteer for this but I have a really loose vision.
My idea is to throw it all out there to you geniuses and see what comes back.

So you if want an overall arc that is tight and refined, I'm not the man.

But if you want something that is absolutely open to creativity, I am the man.

My principles are:

1. Keep the story simple (aka what Greeny said)

2. Once each person has their assignment, they have total decision power for that song. Collaborating with others on the writing is voluntary... encouraged but not required.  (Keep in mind, the more specific you make it, the more chance of inconsistencies... singing/writing about feelings is safe because our character's emotions will be all over the place, whereas a lot of plot details weigh down the music... but if you can pull it off then all the power to you!)

3. The more sonically diverse, the better (but we are making a ROCK album)

(P.S. I doubt it's a problem with this group, but egos are checked at the door.  You have ownership of your portion but overall it's a collaborative effort.  The end result may be surprising, so let's be open to it!)

FuzzFace

Here is my revised outline with feedback from cuthbert, Satchwood and Tony W:

- OVERTURE

- Feeling beat by the competitive world

- Romantic relationship deteriorated

- Get away to a tropical island
         (e.g. loving nature and/or total escapism (i.e. "f*ck it all") and/or other)

- Living a hedonistic philosophy
        (e.g. Satchwood's "brief relationship with one of the island girls")

- Flashback of childhood innocence and marvel at the world

- Dream sequence Part 1:  Psychedelic representation of life

- Dream sequence Part 2:  Reminded of the meaning of music

- Determined to follow vision and let all else follow

- Has begun to taste the meaning of love

Who wants to make this album?

henwrench

Quote from: FuzzFace on September 01, 2010, 08:34:45 AMWho wants to make this album?

Count me in. On two conditions....

1. We have a musical director, or to use the phrase 'a leader'. I don't mind who it is, as long as it's not me...

2. The director informs the participants what will be required of them.

Solo or Collab, I'll happily carry out what the director wants.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

I am more of a writer than a conductor.

If anyone wants to nominate a musical director, that would help.

Although if I was musical director, people would pick themes like a signup sheet.

What would be expected, is...
 - After an arbitrary deadline (e.g. 2 months), deliver a song around 4 or 5 minutes long
 - It could be acoustic or electric, fast or slow song, angst-ridden or heartfelt...
 - Weekly posts of lyrics or tracks would be desirable, so that writers can feed off each other.

The fact that each song will have a different singer means by definition, it's going to be eclectic.
Eclectic is good!

(P.S. I'll be happy to do this, and I'd be happy if someone takes care of it.  I just want to see the talent shine).

launched

Quote from: henwrench on September 01, 2010, 09:00:30 AM
Quote from: FuzzFace on September 01, 2010, 08:34:45 AMWho wants to make this album?

Count me in. On two conditions....

1. We have a musical director, or to use the phrase 'a leader'. I don't mind who it is, as long as it's not me...

2. The director informs the participants what will be required of them.

Solo or Collab, I'll happily carry out what the director wants.

henwrench

Yes, my thoughts as well.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover