Songcrafters Rock Opera?

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

FuzzFace

Quote from: cuthbert on August 31, 2010, 09:54:15 AMI'd like to add that I think it might work better to post songs as a work in progress,

That is a good idea.
In fact it would be a good idea to let people post the lyrics if they want input or are concerned about continuity issues in what they are writing.

I would not suggest it be mandatory, but obviously communication is good!

StevieM

Hiya guys,
Not been on here for a while----ummm----hold on----a bloody long time actually!!! Been lurking though. In fact not been on anywhere,or playing,or anything, for some time. Some of you know I had that little stroke type thingy end of last year, and had 2 major-ish ops to clean out my Carotid arteries, plus other general crap going on, but things are starting to get a bit better now, so hopefully should be around a bit more.

Anyway-----hope you don't mind if I stick my 2 penn'th ( or 2 cents? :D) worth in?
This sounds like a great project, how's about making it maybe a bit more relevant to here? Such as, a frustrated fledgling rock star get's discovered through a music forum, makes the big time, all the 'sex, drugs, rock and roll' scene and stuff, fame and all that goes with it, then after cracking up big time (rehab/nearly dying/etc etc etc) realises that it's not worth it and it's only the music that means anything at all??

Maybe a bit passe, or just  a crap idea??
Cheers.

Oh yeh, I've caught some of the Beatles fest tracks----brilliant job!! 8) I'm going to wait 'till it's finished then download the lot, that way I don't miss any.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Bluesberry

Here is my "goofing off at work" idea that came into my head this afternoon. 

A man living his life, mundane existance, loving wife kids , etc, maybe a boring or stressful job.  He keeps hearing snatches of some song in his head.  At first just ignore, but once in a while he stops and pays attention.  Every time he pays attention a little bit intently, the surroundings go slightly blurry, one time the surroundings dissolve in front of his eyes and he can see a glimpse of another place entirely, where everything is diffeent.  Everytime he has one of these experiences he comes back with a strong sense that this life is fake somehow, that that other place he briefly sees whenever the song is in his head is more real, and maybe his real life.  Finally he decides to pay full attention to this song, and poof, he switches over fully to this other world, his old life disolving away into nothing.  He finds himself on a stage, guitar in hand, singing a song in front of 1000's of screaming fans, he is the lead singer/songwriter/guitarists in this band.  He was singing his latest song.  After the song is over one of his bandmates remarks that he never sang that one with so much power before, that he appeared to be in a kind of trance.  Now the question is was he the singer or the song?  Which one is the real life?  It could be filled out with different songs to portray this awakening (or desent into delusion, leave it open ended). Hahahahahaha, needs a bit of work but it sure beats Lobster-man.  At the end is the guy really a singer/songwriter in a band who dreampt of this other life or in a delusion due to some trauma in his original life.  What is real?  The band hits the "perfect note" and the real world is revealed and the false falls away. Or does it? Hahahahahahahaha. Boom.....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

I'm in!

Can we not use existing songs from members, and tack together a story line....?

Needs Boobs Though....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

A rock opera about boobs...

Once again, T, you are a visionary.

Blooby

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on August 31, 2010, 01:02:53 PMHahahahahaha, needs a bit of work but it sure beats Lobster-man.  

I kind of liked Lobster Man, Dave!  ;D

I haven't read through all of these posts, but I heard tell of this great idea so I'll try to dig back later.

Many of you know Tharek, Geir, Dave, Tony W and myself undertook a mini musical project called "Shadows" last year. It took a lot of work and communication with lots and lots of tracks, but that was an extremely fun project to do.

A site-wide project would be quite interesting, and I'd love to at least get minimally involved. So that being said, here is what I think would be needed to get the ball rolling fast with positive results. Please forgive me in advance if I've re-chewed any previously served cabbage:

1. Postpone any SongFests. This would be the fest.
2. Short, quick brainstorm for subject matter. But to make things expedient and simple the mods and admins should just call it. Whatever it takes to convert this from dream to reality in short order, and I think this would be a great thing for Songcrafters to do. There has already been talk about doing another one, so we may as well pool resources and support the site.
3. Determine the number of parts or song parts. From personal experience I can tell you that three is plenty, but a minimal amount would be best so we could get through this thing in good shape for the first run. Maybe five?
4. One of the moderators or administrators needs to be in charge of collecting and labeling the music files, and god help the guy who is selected to be Eddie Kramer!
5. I like Tharek's idea of possibly using existing material, but obviously the original track files need to be available, and lyrical content should be modified to fit the theme.

So all in all I think this should be doable and lots of fun. Let's do it!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Gnasty

Wow and so now i`ve read through almost everything.

This does sound very cool but i really think that there has to be a leader. Someone must take the helm. Lots of ideas but your all not listening to one idea that will lead into the project.

Its getting too complicated. Someone must take the reigns ???

I`ll be part of it if it comes together to let you all know ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Kevin Mammoth

I'm just dying to see who gets to do the female parts...

I'm with Gnasty about needing a leader - I'm thinking a project full of DIY musos will noodle about forever unless a dictator seizes control.
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

tom r

Hi
yes we require a leader otherwise no decisions will be made. I think Thareks idea of using existing songs would help inspire the story and move things along BUT it would be fun to put in some new material. I'm glad Lobster man was mentioned again i thought he might get lost in the discussion.
Could Lobster man be an agent / band manager grabbing all the cash with his big lobster claw (theres a song in there?)

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Greeny

This is a very big project to take on. Personally, I think that the concept of doing it is good, but the practicalities of harnessing all the personnel, organisation and egos involved will be very difficult. You will definitely need a leader - and agree to obey them!

As for me, I'll just watch from the sidelines, lol. I know that I'd become too obsessed with the whole thing, and I don't need that type of stress right now. Also, I couldn't cope with not doing all the story, music and design myself, lol (CONTROL FREAK!).

I wrote and recorded a rock opera (on cassette!) back in the mid-90's as I'm hugely influenced by 'Tommy'. It wasn't a very satisfying task in the end, but I did learn one important thing: Keep the story simple. If you look at Tommy, it's a pretty simple story. Keeping it simple means less lyrical pain.

Good luck guys!