Songcrafters Rock Opera?

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

tom r

I can't listen to sound tracks on  my work computer Blooby so will def give this a listen when i get home. Writing as a large group will be very difficult as alraedy suggested by 64. I attend work meetings on a regular basis where nobody is willing to make a decision.

I wondered about this as an idea (which will probably go a bit weird) someone starts the story any which way they want and writes a song. Then someone else chooses to take up the story and write the next tune and so on etc.

Just a thought?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

FuzzFace

Quote from: tom r on August 31, 2010, 03:25:56 AMsomeone starts the story any which way they want and writes a song. Then someone else chooses to take up the story and write the next tune and so on etc.

That would produce some interesting results.
What would we do, have a signup sheet and then randomize the sequence of participants?

FuzzFace

As Blooby said above regarding his suggestion, my feelings won't be hurt if nobody bites at this.  But here is my attempt at a first contribution.

Each song embodies a theme, producing a sequence of themes, that ultimately tells a story.  

- Feeling beat by the competitive world

- Romantic relationship deteriorated

- Get away to a tropical island

- Flashback of childhood innocence and marvel at the world

- Dream sequence Part 1:  Psychedelic representation of life

- Dream sequence Part 2:  Reminded of the meaning of music

- Determined to follow vision and let all else follow

Each song is self-contained.

I did not number them because more can be added.

Each writer has carte-blanche with their theme.  They can make it as vague or as specific as they want.  As long as the backbone above is followed, it will gel.  

FuzzFace

You know what, whatever happened to happy endings?

Why don't we add at the end:

- Gets the girl back

The idea is that if you follow your vision, life will turn out well.  

Remember, idealism?

(Ok, I'm shutting up now.  Thanks for reading!)

cuthbert

I think this is a great idea, and I like the outline you've created, FuzzFace.

I'd like to add that I think it might work better to post songs as a work in progress, rather than have people working in a vacuum and then posting when its finished. I think the stylistic continuity will flow better if there is a common thread, even a musical theme. Overtures are nice. :)

So...how do we parcel bits out? There's a couple bits in the outline I'd be interested in working on in my ample spare time. ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

Quote from: FuzzFace on August 31, 2010, 07:28:42 AMYou know what, whatever happened to happy endings?

- Gets the girl back

I thought you said happy endings?

The only true happy ending is upgrading to a new woman, much younger, much hotter, and much less affected by gravity and the pitfalls of life.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

Quote from: FuzzFace on August 31, 2010, 07:10:01 AMEach song embodies a theme, producing a sequence of themes, that ultimately tells a story. 

- Feeling beat by the competitive world

- Romantic relationship deteriorated

- Get away to a tropical island

- brief relationship with one of the island girls, a "She Devil"

- Flashback of childhood innocence and marvel at the world

- Dream sequence Part 1:  Psychedelic representation of life

- Dream sequence Part 2:  Reminded of the meaning of music

- Determined to follow vision and let all else follow

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

the mid life crisis certainly rings true for me, mrs orh surprisingly has no objections to my upcoming norwegian trip with some friends from here.

i have since found out through one of my fellow travellers who had a chat with her on the phone that she thinks it will get me through my mid-life crisis. i might be the big 50 but i'm still a teenager in my old rotten head.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

FuzzFace

Quote from: Tony W on August 31, 2010, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: FuzzFace on August 31, 2010, 07:28:42 AMYou know what, whatever happened to happy endings?

- Gets the girl back

I thought you said happy endings?

The only true happy ending is upgrading to a new woman, much younger, much hotter, and much less affected by gravity and the pitfalls of life.

We could just make the last theme "Discovering the meaning of love", whether it's romantic (old girl, new girl, whatever) or about attaining some kind of enlightenment, or being ready to let people in, or whatever... I want to open it up rather than narrow it down.

Personally I like the idea of him returning to his first love with his youthful outlook renewed, but it's best to leave it open for other writers.