Songcrafters Rock Opera?

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

64Guitars

tom r suggested this idea in another topic and I thought we could discuss it here.

Quote from: tom r on August 29, 2010, 06:01:57 AMMaybe the forum should work on a rock opera???

That's a great idea! Someone would have to create an original storyline first and an outline of what each song is about within the context of the storyline. If anyone wants to do that, maybe they could post it here and other members can say which songs they want to do so that everyone's working on a different song. The finished songs could be posted in the Original Songs board. However, it might be best to hold off on posting the songs until the whole opera is finished. Then we can listen to it in its entirety so we can follow the story.

This is a pretty ambitious project and should take quite some time to complete, so I don't think we need to schedule it as a normal festival. The festivals can carry on as usual and this would be a secondary project.

Anyone interested?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Count me in, always wanted a night at the opera ;D !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Blooby

A deaf, dumb, and blind goat whose cheese is heralded throughout the land. The details are still being worked out.

Just a quick thought.

Satchwood

Oh, please no more deaf dumb and blind Tommy's LOL   Well i guess if it's a goat, then it's a deaf, dumb, and blind Billy :~)

Actually this sounds pretty cool to me, we have an abundance of awesome writers on Songcrafters, that could write an excellent story with, say about a dozen songs or so?

I originally wanted to do a Time Traveler rock opera myself, about a brilliant guy that unknowingly gets micro-chipped by the gov't, invents a time machine; gets into big trouble due to government involvement & control, and then slowly looses his mind.... :~)   .... alot of loose ends, and double meanings. 

But i've since got too involved in music making and haven't taken the time to invest in the story line lately...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Bluesberry

I would be very interested in contributing.  I had a song cycle idea a little while back about a guy who falls asleep on the beach and when he wakes up in the morning he discovers (to his amusement and horror) that he has become a lobster-man, Sorta "Happy Jack" meets "Tales From The Underground" meets "Naked Lunch".  I didn't get too far into it, just a fragment of one song, a rather central song to the whole cycle, but alas only a fragment.  Here is all I have so far (you guys would tell me if it is shite or not, right):  I am sure that Mark (Launched)  and Cuthbert can relate to this high-brow concept of mine, being lobster loving east coasters themselves.

There was a man from the beach,
his face was as red as a beet,
all the children would run away,
every-time it was a sunny day,
because his hands were even redder than his feet.

They threw him in an old pot,
put it on the fire until it was hot,
all the children came gathering around,
because they could hear that sound,
of the lobster man as he fought.

Count me in, and if I can perhaps work some of my "Lobtser-man" project into it all the better (or not, if it doesn't fit with the chosen theme).  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

FuzzFace

I would be up for writing an outline.

It's what I was born to do.

There would be a somewhat loose, surreal element in order to give each contributer some artistic leeway.

Flash Harry

What a fantastic idea.

this could be unbelievable aweful or it could be unbelievably good.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

a dyslexic typist falls fowl of a mad cornish taxi driver, who locks her in his taxi playing songs on his 8 track whilst trying on her knickers.
buck buck buck.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Vanncad

Quotethis could be unbelievable aweful or it could be unbelievably good.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That reminds me of these famous last words...

"Hey, hold my beer, I'm gonna try somethin'...'"
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Tony W

Quote from: Blooby on August 29, 2010, 12:58:38 PMA deaf, dumb, and blind goat whose cheese is heralded throughout the land. The details are still being worked out.

Just a quick thought.

I'm deaf in one ear with a fairly low IQ, and I'm squinting a lot to read the comments.

I just cut the cheese.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR