What on earth is S/PDIF?

Started by Trotters, August 28, 2010, 07:01:47 AM

Trotters

Hey all-me again with another (dumb) question ::)

Saw on the back of a Line 6 POD amp modeler a socket called S/PDIF output. Is this used for connecting the POD to speakers or are the left and right line outs do this job? If the latter is true-what would connect to the S/PDIF-a micro boss?!

Trotters

cuthbert

S/PDIF is a digital audio transmission method - it often uses an optical cable and always uses specialized connectors. More info here.

Most often, this port is used to connect to an ADAT tape machine to maintain digital audio with no A/D/A conversion. You won't be able to plug this directly into your Micro BR, which features only analog inputs.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Trotters

So in layman's terms it is a specific port used to transfer digital data, eg. audio device to speakers?

64Guitars

The problem with S/PDIF is that there are many devices with S/PDIF outputs, but very few with S/PDIF inputs. Unless you have something with a S/PDIF input, the S/PDIF outputs are useless. I have several devices with S/PDIF outputs, but not a single device with a S/PDIF input.

Some audio interfaces for computers include S/PDIF inputs. If you have one or are planning to purchase one, then you can connect devices with S/PDIF outputs (such as the Line 6 POD you mentioned) directly to the audio interface for better sound quality (no signal degradation because it's completely digital).

Here's a picture of the Digidesign Mbox 2 audio interface for Pro Tools. You can see that it has both Out and In S/PDIF connectors.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

My Korg D16 actually has both in and out .... never used it tho ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Trotters

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 28, 2010, 12:24:28 PMThe problem with S/PDIF is that there are many devices with S/PDIF outputs, but very few with S/PDIF inputs. Unless you have something with a S/PDIF input, the S/PDIF outputs are useless. I have several devices with S/PDIF outputs, but not a single device with a S/PDIF input.

Some audio interfaces for computers include S/PDIF inputs. If you have one or are planning to purchase one, then you can connect devices with S/PDIF outputs (such as the Line 6 POD you mentioned) directly to the audio interface for better sound quality (no signal degradation because it's completely digital).

Here's a picture of the Digidesign Mbox 2 audio interface for Pro Tools. You can see that it has both Out and In S/PDIF connectors.

Aha!!You're reading my mind 64 aren't you! I actually get what the S/pdif port(s) do(es) now-cheers again forum!