Headphones-studio and normal listening?

Started by Trotters, August 27, 2010, 02:30:42 PM

Redler

Quote from: Trotters on August 27, 2010, 02:30:42 PMI've been eyeing up the AKG K271 MKII cans-will these be fine for listening to an mp3 player as well as recording?

I've got K 171 MKII and I'm pleased with them when recording and mixing. But when I listen my mp3 player, I take my twenty years old Pioneer headphones, because they are lighter. Although the sound is excellent from K 171, I don't like use them for a longer time, because they are closed.

Kari

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Trotters

Cheers guys for all the info!!!Most useful indeed!

Gnasty

QuoteAh, the BOSE phones-read some reviews that they were really fragile...?!

Fragile in what way?? Like most things i have, they take a beating.. I don`t find them fragile at all!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Migs

I have had a pair of the SE310s and the SE420s.  I think it must have been at a stage of my life when I had more money than I do now because (at least in Aus) they are expensive.  They really highlight the difference between CD and MP3 quality though.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.12165600/parentCategoryID.12165500

I'm about to follow up a warranty claim with them so it will be interesting to see how helpful they are ... or not.

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

chapperz66

I treated myself to a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT100s a couple of years ago.  For recording/mixing they can't be beaten, and once I got used to the dry sound, I'm happy with them for ordinary listening.

They aren't cheap though but then again they are used in most pro studios for a reason, and have been for about the last thirty odd years.

You would look a bit silly walking down the street with them with your Mp3 player though!

Paul

Migs

Oh, here's something else to throw in to the mix...

I don't agree with the idea of having a good set for mixing and then an el-cheapo set for everyday listening.  There are a few reasons for this.  I really enjoy the music I am listening to and don't want to spoil it with cheap gear.  It is a bit like using wine in cooking.  If you aren't happy to drink it, don't use it in cooking.

The other reason I use quality stuff on my ears is that I value my hearing (more than I used to unfortunately).  I use sure ear buds because they cut out most external noise. This effectively means the volumes you are hitting your eardrums with ends up being less.  You don't have to pump up the volume to drown out traffic noise, the train, my neighbours shagging etc etc etc.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Kevin Mammoth

I have some nice rolands - but they make everything sound too good - mixes which sound good through the headphones sound crap on a car stereo etc - it is the old chestnut, for recording you want monitors that give you the mix which sounds good on everything
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

peterp

Used to use older AKG's for recording before I got my studio monitors.
Find I don't really like wearing them for long periods.

Also have a couple of  pairs of inexpensive Sony mdr-v150's for the mp3 & portable DVD player, prefer them as they fold up easier and don't cost too much if they get mangled.

A friend got the Sony noise canceling cans so he could listen to tunes while cutting the lawns on his tractor, really impressive but heavy.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Glenn Mitchell

I found a pair of Stanton DJ Pro 2000's on Craig's list for $75.
The main thing I liked about them was the mixes I made on the MBR sounded very close to the final MP3.
Prior to these, I was always disappointed how different the MP3 was from the mix and had to mix thru the speakers.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks