BBC One's 'History of Guitars'

Started by Greeny, October 06, 2008, 09:37:57 AM

Greeny

This is a new 3-part series about the history of the greatest instrument ever  :)

It's on Sunday evenings at 10:20pm (or via I-Player below), and the first one was on last night. It got slated in the papers this morning, but to be fair, it had to deal with the origins of the instrument rather than having a whole show of Hendrix / Gilmour / Clapton etc doing their thing. The next two shows should be a bit more interesting though.

My main criticism was having Alan Yentob as presenter. He's not a guitar player, and is as far away from rock-and-roll as you can get. Surely they could have got Johnny Marr or Pete Townsend or someone to give it some authenticity?!

I liked it - kind of. There's not enough guitar-based programming on the tv!!!! Not enough to pay a TV licence for, anyway.

Here's the link for info and downloads...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dyhyt

Flash Harry

Nice one Tim.

I missed this last night because I was travelling and I was going to look for it tonight after I had sorted out my new 16MEG BROADBAND! Weyhey!

So thanks for doing the looking.

I have worked with Alan Yentob and he is a thoroughly nice guy, but you're right, not hard core rock and roll - or even skiffle.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

was great show, you read my mind tim when i was watching i was thinking of putting an iplater link for our international friends, cant wait to see part two when i goes electric.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

I detest and hate and despise windows vista. The networking is absoultely awful. I know what I need to do but the tools to do it aren't there.

Hours and hours of messing about trying to get stupid stupid operating systems to talk to the internet mean that I didn't get a chance to see this yet.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tangled Wires

Thought it was an excellent programme, and am looking forward to the next part of it on Sunday.

Very pleased that Matthew Bellamy of Muse was interviewed, as he ,in my opinion, is one of the most innovative guitarists around right now, as well as being an all round incredibly talented musician and songwriter

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mudhut

Thanks for the heads up guys, I missed this as it "way past my bed time"  ::) I'll check it out on iplayer and make sure the Sky+ is set up for next week.
Ta very much
Keep on rocking in the free world :)

Greeny

Last night's was brilliant! Can't wait until next week now.

Mudhut

Had to post this link. Loads of good stuff relating to the program

http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/guitars/video/
Keep on rocking in the free world :)