Vocal Melody

Started by vierge99, August 21, 2010, 07:22:54 PM

Glenn Mitchell

There are so many ways of writing a melody. I'm told it's advisable not to jump around too much tho. That is avoid excessively large intervals. Again, just a general rule and probably comes from the inability of most folks to sing along which hinders popularity.
I do start with words usually, tho they change a lot as the song develops.
I try to let the chords, melody, and rhythm to happen simultaneously as I sing the words.
They seem to push each other around jostling for position and searching for their own order for a while until some combination stands out that makes me feel good.
I get a "that's it" feeling of epiphany that can raise the hair on the back of my neck and put a smile on my face. Those are the moments in the process I live for and keeps me coming back. Creativity is a drug.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

dragonshade

Quote from: vierge99 on September 03, 2010, 07:54:26 PM
Quote from: Greeny on August 27, 2010, 02:37:20 AMI don't care about notes and scales - just sing it until it sounds right!

Whenever I just try to sing it, even after 20 repetitions it just seems kinda flat. I wonder what kinda music conflict that is that I need to focus on.

Well... now as a lyrical songwriter I feel I can actually comment here lol.

There is a LOT more than flat or sharp when it comes to singing a vocal melody, especially if you are trying to sing it in a song, or even with a simple chord progression. There is timing, clarity, voice volume, inflection, and lots else that can contribute to it sounding "flat" or "off". You must take all of these into consideration when trying to lay down vocals. Try to rule out one thing at a time, and listen over and over and over, sometimes it takes a lot of listening and working different things to find the true problem.

maxit

yes it is ;-)  common
 limitation is not a problem , but has to be interesting ... dont forget that words have their own sound and there is rhythm - so when it comes to the mix of three -  even one note only can result in interesting song.
recorder
Audacity