Interesting Artilce on Vintage Guitars

Started by Migs, August 18, 2010, 06:02:59 PM

guitarron

Quote from: SdC on August 20, 2010, 07:22:18 AMA bit more down to earth (excuse me for re-posting this link; I just think the whole vintage market is ****ed up):
http://www.edroman.com/rants/vintageguitarno.htm

the vintage market is a shark tank for sure-
buying a "vintage" fender especially
now you see teisco's going for ungodly amounts of money-

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kevin Mammoth

Quote from: SdC on August 20, 2010, 07:22:18 AMA bit more down to earth (excuse me for re-posting this link; I just think the whole vintage market is ****ed up):
http://www.edroman.com/rants/vintageguitarno.htm

Great article - I've always wondered about vintage guitars supposedly having such amazing tone - surely it can't be THAT good (like $600K worth.....)
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Migs

Quote from: Kevin Mammoth on August 21, 2010, 09:41:09 PMGreat article - I've always wondered about vintage guitars supposedly having such amazing tone - surely it can't be THAT good (like $600K worth.....)

Yehudi Menuhin didn't often pick up a Yamaha violin - he teneded to play things made by Antonio Stradivari, the  Guarnei family, Grancino or Busetto.  Now this taking the argument to the extreme because we are talking about instruments made in the late 1600s and early 1700s but I can certainly hear the difference.

I wonder what a 1950s Tele will be worth in 200 years given a good Stradivarius will set you back $USD2.5-3.5 million these days.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Greeny

My only opinion on this is that guitars are meant to be played. If they're too precious or expensive to be played and enjoyed, there's no point in having them. And there's nothing worse (IMO) than a non-player who buys one as an investment and appreciates nothing but the value of it. Personally, I think that there's a lot of unjustified awe and mystique surrounding vintage guitars. Tone isn't just about how old the wood is; it's about the way you play and what you're playing it through. I couldn't make a vintage Tele sound any better than a new one. But there again, I haven't paid any more than £600 for a guitar (and even that scared the sh*t out of me...). If I had the money, I'd take a Fender custom shop nocaster over a vintage guitar, because I'd actually get full use out of it.

guitarron

Quote from: Greeny on August 24, 2010, 05:52:10 AMare meant to be played. If they're too precious or expensive to be played and enjoyed, there's no point in having them.
there ya have it
Quote from: Greeny on August 24, 2010, 05:52:10 AMthere's nothing worse (IMO) than a non-player who buys one as an investment and appreciates nothing but the value of it.
that's exactly why a 50's paul for example that cost 30k in in the 80's (which i felt was over the top then) costs 500k now-it truly is insane
Quote from: Greeny on August 24, 2010, 05:52:10 AMI couldn't make a vintage Tele sound any better than a new one.

many would argue that point-my ear must not be that keen to hear a difference in wood age on an electric guitar-maybe because there is so much that goes into that signal chain-amps, effects and such-i can hear the the difference between a les paul and a fender-as most can-but the difference in 50 yr old wood and 30 yr old wood ?-i think thats where the justification of it all gets a little thin-imo
now when talking acoustics, thats where i can start to hear the wood age-at least in my own instruments-so ok there something to the wood thing-but a power chord on old or new lespaul is going to sound sweet in my signal chain

my old guitars are old because i'm old-lol-my kids may get the benefit of the their value after they pry 'em out of my cold stiff fingers
but for now rock on
btw- i recently broke/reinjured the neck on my "cheap" studio model paul-bumming big time

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

trev

I think I'm totally with Greeny on this one - I've got a couple of Les Pauls. The one I use and have used for nearly all of the time I've been playing is a 1969 Goldtop Deluxe - I get lots of people at gigs telling me how much it is worth but to me it has no monetary value because I would never contemplate selling it! My claim to fame is that I've worn the frets off it 3 times now and hope I get to do it a few more times yet. Guitars are meant to be played and I think its safe to say that the newness has definitely worn off mine now but I wouldnt have it any other way. If you want to see it I'm using it on the devil went down to georgia vid that I posted in the covers section a few months ago or alternatively at: youtube.com/musicfan77.

I have to say tho that I also have a 73 Les Paul Deluxe that actually sounds completely different and I love that one too - I think I'm playing it on my youtube channel on Hey Joe. Love the comment from guitarron - my guitars are old because I am old :) same here haha - good one guitarron.

Trev

Oldrottenhead

i got my guitar from woollies for £99.00 woollies have closed and you cant get em any more maybe in a few years time it will be worth at least a tenner more.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Dmann

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 25, 2010, 05:51:15 PMi got my guitar from woollies for £99.00 woollies have closed and you cant get em any more maybe in a few years time it will be worth at least a tenner more.

LOL

IMO the real vintage equipment is the AMPlifier and possibly the pickups that are in the guitar.

guitarron

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 25, 2010, 05:51:15 PMi got my guitar from woollies for £99.00 woollies have closed and you cant get em any more maybe in a few years time it will be worth at least a tenner more.
someday maybe
-teisco's that sold at kmart for 50 bucks are "worth" about 500 now

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis