"A song for my friends" a Geir original

Started by Geir, August 10, 2010, 06:51:38 AM

Ted

It's been 2,391 days since this was first posted, and I never commented on it.

The song was posted just a few days after my father died. I barely remember hearing it. And even though it's been pinned to the home page, I haven't revisited it until today, thanks to a live MET version that was shared with me.

I'm not the most prolific song poster, or the most active member of this community anymore. But I have chosen to share here, obliquely, some of the major life events of the last 2,391 days:

So this song really captures something about this online community, and what it means to me. In spite of the changes in my life I think of my friends here as people I can connect with through time and distance.

The genius of the song is that it's so sad. It's an anti-anthem. Being far from good friends is hard. It's one of the things that I makes me realize that I won't stay in Madagascar forever. Being far from good friends you've never met doesn't make it easier. There's something about words and language and music that hacks our monkey brains and makes us believe we really know these people. And maybe we do. Or can. Let's make that happen.

You nailed it, Geir. Please accept my gratitude, albeit 2,391 days late.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Diego Ayala

Rata-tat-tat

Well put Ted... I feel quite the same... I haven't been around for a while and have popped in from time to time. I see the glue "Admin" has kept this site going. My hat is off to them for keeping this going as long as they have. It was really nice to come back with such a warm welcome... We all come and go from time to time... It's nice to have a place to call my "virtual home". I'm sure everyone that has been here for any amount of time feels the same. This song is the "Hallmark" of this site. The lyrics say it all... Maybe one day I'll be in an MET session. That would be a real blast and an honor to be a part of. Cheers to all you songcrafters and especially to my Viking buddy to come up with such a great tune.

Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Groundy

For the last 7 years I have been certain I had posted on this great number,
Looking back through the 9 pages I now realise that I didn't
A Thousand Apologies Geir,
And well said Ted, I am now 2392 days late.
Top class performance Geir, and I too am so proud to be part of this group of Fine Musicians.
Good Bump Ted...

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Johnny Robbo

Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious... I see this song on the SC homepage ever time I visit the site & I've never listened until now...And I'm SO glad I did! Absolutely beautiful! Sums up the ethic of Songcrafters perfectly!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk