Vocal Technique :Part 1/2 and now part 3!!:)

Started by Pipes, July 22, 2010, 01:31:27 AM

Satchwood

Definitely going to be studying thru your notes here on vocal technique ~ great stuff Nick!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Pipes

I will try and post something on harmonies at a later date...trouble is i don't really know how to explain what i do....eeeerrrrr
bear with me...i'l give it a go soon...
Have fun..
Nick

AndyR

Just found this thread - there's some great stuff in here, thanks for starting it Nick.

I'm guessing you have the same feeling/attitude as me - people tell us we've got "good" voices, but we know anyone could do it really! :D

I'd love to hear what you've got to say about harmonies (and I can just hear someone like Geir getting revv'd up to say "and I want to hear what you've got to say as well Andy"). But I think I'd find it as difficult to describe as you do.

I've always just "done what I do". I like improvising harmony lines, and I also know a fair bit about chords, so I can pick new notes to start on and see where it goes. Usually I just do what I feel like, and it comes out like it comes out - usually pretty close to what I was intending. A choir of AndyRs is just another set of instruments in my mind when I'm arranging. I know what my voice might do and I know how it might work in a song. But recently I'm starting to get the urge to, er, "borrow" other people's sounds. For example, I've been listening to The Hollies a lot recently... how the hell did they get that sound??! I don't know how to imitate it yet... but I want it! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Pipes

Thanks for spotting this Andy.. I thought it was well lost:)))
I left the harmony explanation until the last....well near the last..as I'm really finding it hard to describe how i harmonize...eeerrr
It really comes from sounds in my head (it's ok I'm not Psycho or anything:))..I'm sure it's not innate... It's something iv picked up on along the way, on my mad experiences:)>>>>>I simply enjoy experimenting and sometimes it goes hideously wrong..rather like my spelling:)) i know i like to over do things sometimes, maybe that's how i learn how to make the harmonies, by ridiculous mistakes..I love doing them thou...really enjoy them:)

I will make a conserted effort thou...as AndyR has inspired me to contribute a lttle more to the vox page:))
cheers man:))

Ps.. I'm sure Digital recorders change the way recordings sound as compared to Analog sounds ( me stating the obvious..thinking from a harmony point of view)...ie.. The Hollies harmonies. I tried to re create the old harmony sound on the "Love Me Tender" cover that i did (chorus)..it's just an effort thou...:)))

...You really have to FEEL the music..the passion!!! ;D :D ;) Glory comes later:))well self satisfaction ::)
It just came to me..It really is paramount to feel the harmony (almost subconciously), because if you think about it too much, it aint gonner work..well that's my first point on trying to explain...eeeerrr
and it's always easier to sing with your own voices..because you know them...It's like being surrounded by a bunch of Clones ha ha ha..multi tracking that is...:))

byeee

cuthbert

Quote from: AndyR on December 12, 2010, 11:10:30 AM...But recently I'm starting to get the urge to, er, "borrow" other people's sounds. For example, I've been listening to The Hollies a lot recently... how the hell did they get that sound??! I don't know how to imitate it yet... but I want it! :D

I have a pet theory on this - I think that if two people with similar voices deliberately try to sing each in the style of the other (not forgetting harmonizing, of course), then they can get very close to a Hollies-style vocal sound.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Pipes

...I keep adding stuff...maybe has some value..
all enjoyable anyway,,,
have a great evening folks:)

AndyR

Quote from: cuthbert on December 12, 2010, 12:56:32 PM
Quote from: AndyR on December 12, 2010, 11:10:30 AM...But recently I'm starting to get the urge to, er, "borrow" other people's sounds. For example, I've been listening to The Hollies a lot recently... how the hell did they get that sound??! I don't know how to imitate it yet... but I want it! :D

I have a pet theory on this - I think that if two people with similar voices deliberately try to sing each in the style of the other (not forgetting harmonizing, of course), then they can get very close to a Hollies-style vocal sound.

Now that is interesting... doesn't help me trying to do it all on me lonesome though! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Satchwood

Keep adding Nick, i for one am reading and taking notice!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Pipes

...Will do Mr Satchwood...

Thanks for your encouragement folks...
I'll drum up some more perceived knowledge and try to express it:) on future posts...

Happy xmas all you keen readers:)

Geir

bump for new members
Quote from: Nightcaller on December 14, 2010, 04:14:18 AMThanks for your encouragement folks...
I'll drum up some more perceived knowledge and try to express it:) on future posts...
Would it be too much to ask for a part 4 now ?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........