Vocal Technique :Part 1/2 and now part 3!!:)

Started by Pipes, July 22, 2010, 01:31:27 AM

henwrench

Quote from: Geir on August 25, 2010, 08:47:22 AMA recording tip: If you feel like me that your voice is cracking up here and there throughout a song, try doubling the voice. That is, record the same vocal twice. You probably won't crack up in the exact same spots and the mix of the two will sound much better than one single take. You'll have to know the song well enough to have two takes that are fairly alike, regarding timing tho.

Oh yea, the good ol' double tracking technique. I do it pretty much all the time, and have constantly proved that two wrongs DO make a right.  :D :D

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pipes

..Thanks guys for contributing to the Discussion...that's what it's all about!.. to spark a debate and share our knowledge...
so feel free to add your singing tips and vocal experiences:))
I want to keep learning too :D ;) :D

cuthbert

I do the double-tracked vocals myself (sounds better than just one of me),  :)  but I am also one who suffers from a sore throat when I sing too much. I'm going to have to look into singing more from the chest or feet - don't like the sore throats.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Dmann

If you are serious about singing, then the best thing you can do is have a "routine warm up" 1st thing in the morning everyday. Just remember it's a warmup, not an exercise to push range or learn/practice new techniques. Think of it like that morning 15-20 min jog/cardio to stay fit. Believe it or not, proper diet, a healthy lifestyle and a good 8 hours of daily rest is just as important. Don't forget to drink plently of water. I drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee/pop, booze, etc and sitting around is not good at all.

In addition to that, you should schedule in at least 30 minutes of dedicated practice daily to work on rough spots, push your range, and learn new technique. I've been doing this for almost 8 months now and it's increased my range, control and ability 10 fold. I bought a program (Singing Success) just because I wanted to take it to the next level, and even though I am into Metal and Thrash, and that program is for pop/rock, BUT, the method of practice and training is the same.

At any rate, the best advice IMO is simply this. You get out of it what you put into it. Don't write a song and then lay the vocal track down and be done with it. Spend a good amount of time learning your own song, mastering it, and performing it. The performance gets captured in the recording and it's very dissapointing to see a great song put down only because the vocal was not convincing. I hate to say anything negative about the community here, and I too am guilty of this, but the reason most of those pro recording stars have hit songs is because they spend sooooo much time perfecting thier vocal that they could easily do 10 tracks and sing it exactly and perfectly the same every time, WITHOUT punch ins and edits.

So yea, spend some time on it before you consider it done. Listener's will be more impressed and the satisfaction you get from putting so much into it is very very rewarding.

Pipes

Hi Guys.

...part 3 at the top of page 1..

Read and enjoy and feel free to add your experiences...

Greeny

Quote from: henwrench on August 25, 2010, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Geir on August 25, 2010, 08:47:22 AMA recording tip: If you feel like me that your voice is cracking up here and there throughout a song, try doubling the voice. That is, record the same vocal twice. You probably won't crack up in the exact same spots and the mix of the two will sound much better than one single take. You'll have to know the song well enough to have two takes that are fairly alike, regarding timing tho.

Oh yea, the good ol' double tracking technique. I do it pretty much all the time, and have constantly proved that two wrongs DO make a right.  :D :D

henwrench

I was amazed when I read a Beatles track by track analysis of exactly how many songs were double tracked. It seemed that Lennon's vocals were double-tacked as a matter of course, and even Macca wasn't immune to it. There's nothing wrong with it. If it serves the song, I do it too.

launched

Quote from: Greeny on September 07, 2010, 04:19:01 AM
Quote from: henwrench on August 25, 2010, 10:02:46 AM

henwrench

I was amazed when I read a Beatles track by track analysis of exactly how many songs were double tracked. It seemed that Lennon's vocals were double-tacked as a matter of course, and even Macca wasn't immune to it. There's nothing wrong with it. If it serves the song, I do it too.

I've been guilty all along of doubletracking vocals. I'm working on not doing it so much now, but I love it! It's a chore to do, because with verse, chorus and harmony parts you could end up with 15 or so vocal tracks in a song. But I think it's a nice reward when done.

Oh, and I've been trying these techniques, and they work very well - Thank you for them. I still eventually cook my voice, but it's not so bad anymore. I'm even now trying things that I normally would not have done.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Quote from: launched on September 07, 2010, 07:14:31 AMI still eventually cook my voice, but it's not so bad anymore. I'm even now trying things that I normally would not have done.

Mark
Mark is gonna do acapella!!!!!!! How about a little Barber Shop Quartet style.  Go Mark go.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 07, 2010, 07:20:56 AM
Quote from: launched on September 07, 2010, 07:14:31 AMI still eventually cook my voice, but it's not so bad anymore. I'm even now trying things that I normally would not have done.

Mark
Mark is gonna do acapella!!!!!!! How about a little Barber Shop Quartet style.  Go Mark go.

Ha, I didn't didn't see this because the thread was finally put in it's rightful place. I have complete respect for the people that have done acapella posts, including the one Nick did which was awesome!

Maybe someday...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Pipes

..This subject feels a little lost here amongst the instrument section:(( although the vocals can be classed as instrumental....
There have been some great contributions re vocals here and they deserve to be seen ::) ( not just mine) but no one really looks here:(((unfortunately
I understand the need for different pages and catergories thou...
oooo...  i could crush a grape:))) jump off a dolls house:))
Nick