File compression

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, July 21, 2010, 08:31:31 AM

Hi all, a couple of times just recently I've had to either cut short a song or omit a track that may or may not have had a valid place in a song. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose had this problem so my question is, do any of you guys compress your MP3's before posting and if you do what program do you use. I have a Mac computer if that helps.  Thank you...........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

cuthbert

Nope, no further compression. If you zipped or otherwise externally compressed the MP3 file, it wouldn't even load (and therefore wouldn't play) in the player.

There is a file size limit of 6 MB on MP3s; if yours are larger, try lowering the bit rate (this comes at the expense of sound quality), or try hosting the MP3 elsewhere that may allow a larger file size. There are player widgets here on Songcrafters for 4shared, ReverbNation, and SoundClick.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Your MP3s are compressed already. When you create your MP3, changing the bitrate will affect the file size and the quality. Higher bitrates give better quality but larger files. Lower bitrates produce smaller files but sound quality is reduced.

If your songs are very long, you'd be better off finding somewhere else to upload them where file size is not an issue. For example, you could get a free account at 4shared.com which offers 10GB of storage with a maximum file size of 200MB (the maximum file size here at Songcrafters is 6MB). After you've uploaded your song to 4shared.com, you can link to it in your Songcrafters message with the 4shared MP3 player widget. See this message to learn how:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7877.msg103466#msg103466

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thanks guys, you reaffirmed what I thought. I like this site and don't really want to get to involved anywhere else so more prudent editing in future.   Kind regards  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800