Interesting insights on 10cc's 'I'm Not in Love'...

Started by Greeny, July 14, 2010, 07:30:07 AM

Geir

I too have a love/hate relation to this song. I love the simple complexity and the bold choice of the obvious beauty.

Well I mostly love it, and I really love that it was possible to do such complex studio-recordings with the gear they had then. Anyone up for trying it on the mbr ? ::) Nigel ?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

Quote from: Geir on July 14, 2010, 02:49:19 PMAnyone up for trying it on the mbr ? ::) Nigel ?

My Synth makes that sound with one key.....

Sad really..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

I like a lot of 10cc's stuff, including "I'm Not in Love". I also like this one that Kevin Godley and Lol Creme did after they left 10cc. This video is one of the first mainstream uses of image morphing technology. It may be poor by today's digital standards but it was pretty cool in 1985.

At the end, I always expect that guy's glasses to crack.  :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

lg

That was a fascinating and inspiring documentary Tim, thanks
so much for posting it here for us... It makes me want to record!!!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

WOW, that video, "THe Sporting Life", that is some brilliant stuff.  I can hear the Queen thing very strong, what year was this, pre-Queen I am guessing, these guys a big influence on Queen?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chapperz66

Fascinating stuff - and a great song.  It does make you wonder what these clever people would have done with a modern sampler.

Then again - could anyone begin to imagine what Bach would have produced with a Roland Fantom? 

Paul

Greeny

Quote from: chapperz66 on July 15, 2010, 07:32:56 AMThen again - could anyone begin to imagine what Bach would have produced with a Roland Fantom? 

'Bach in Black'? lol

cuthbert

I always thought the end of the song 'Autumn Is Your Last Chance' from 'I Often Dream of Trains' by Robyn Hitchcock was influenced somewhat by 'I'm Not In Love'. It's a great song overall, but to hear the comparison, check at around the 2:28 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KUHVPwVqw

They must have used tape loops for each note of that sustained chord at the end.

Another instance I remember even earlier is from Wire's 'Outdoor Miner' from 'Chairs Missing'...this one uses more than one 'choir chord':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPBuoFs3Mg

It's a cool technique.  8)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

Quote from: Geir on July 14, 2010, 02:49:19 PMWell I mostly love it, and I really love that it was possible to do such complex studio-recordings with the gear they had then. Anyone up for trying it on the mbr ? ::) Nigel ?

Not me any more! I have been perverted by JohnBee and am now experimenting with Samplitude on the PC. I'll be using the MBR for all recording but post production will be done on the PC now I'm afraid. Samplitude is a very powerful but easy to use DAW that has some fantastic capabilities and I'm hooked........

Quote from: cuthbert on July 15, 2010, 07:59:03 PMAnother instance I remember even earlier is from Wire's 'Outdoor Miner' from 'Chairs Missing'...this one uses more than one 'choir chord':

I'm not a huge fan of "I'm Not In Love", probably mainly because it was the last record at every bloody disco I ever went to in the 70s once it came out. The good Mrs Ferryman hates it with a vengance for the same reason! But I love Outdoor Miner, a magnificent song, I love that chord and the harmonies at the end.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR