Interesting insights on 10cc's 'I'm Not in Love'...

Started by Greeny, July 14, 2010, 07:30:07 AM

Greeny

If you're a production geek, obsessive perfectionist, or just like the song, this is an incredibly insightful audio clip. It's taken from an old radio interview, and it spills the beans on how they did that incredible multi-layered vocal and all the other recording secrets. It totally dragged me in. I love it when they break down / isolate the different instrument parts. They really were clever & talented b*stards!

If you have a spare 10 minutes, I really recommend listening to it.

p.s. I absolutely love this song  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WksiotTjw

Oldrottenhead

i loved the album the original soundtrack, my aunt how used to babysit would tell me to turn that rubbish off, then i'm not in love became a big hit, and it was keep that song on, so much so i grew to hate it. i love it again tho. the original soundtrack album by 10cc was the first album i ever bought with my own money, from my saturday job in the co-op. my days pay of £2.50, handed over and 25p change for my bus home.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Thank you so much for posting this. One of may favourite bands from the seventies who I just took for granted, never having a clue into how much work went into their sound. I do believe there is a version of 10cc still touring but can't confirm this. Thanks once more.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

that was dead interesting tim, im sure there are a few documentaries about 10cc filmed at those times, i can remember seeing stuff about strawberry studios on the telly way back.

thanks for posting
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

I always loved this song - thanks for posting the clip, Tim! Well worth 10 minutes of anyone's time.  :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Brilliant stuff. I think anyone with half a brain for music must love this track. It's long been on my list of absolute killer and important songs ever along with Strawberry Fields, Hotel California, Bohemian Rhapsody etc., songs so massive and almost World changing and defining...

henwrench

oh, yea and 'Autumn Song'.
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

Hey thanks for posting that Greeny.

I love these "behind the music" kind of documentaries too.
Can you imagine the time it took to do all that??????

Man - you couldn't get someone to put that much effort into something these days! - and it shows with all the "Autotune" crap we are getting bludgeoned with on a daily basis.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Greeny

Quote from: Vanncad on July 14, 2010, 10:25:34 AMHey thanks for posting that Greeny.

Can you imagine the time it took to do all that??????

Man - you couldn't get someone to put that much effort into something these days!

So true. They really worked at this in a way that just wouldn't be considered today. Maybe it wouldn't even be allowed today with studio costs etc.

It made me wonder whether they knew the huge potential of this song even before they started working on it. In retrospect, it's such a huge and important song that all of that effort seems totally justified - but at the time it must have seemed like a bit of a gamble. Or maybe they just 'knew' that this was a special, once-in-a-lifetime kind of song. If that's the case, history proved them very right.

I'd love to f*ck around in a studio for weeks doing stuff like this. That's not an effort or even a job as far as I'm concerned, lol

Gritter

Quote from: henwrench on July 14, 2010, 09:38:00 AMBrilliant stuff. I think anyone with half a brain for music must love this track. It's long been on my list of absolute killer and important songs ever along with Strawberry Fields, Hotel California, Bohemian Rhapsody etc., songs so massive and almost World changing and defining...

henwrench

oh, yea and 'Autumn Song'.

I guess I must have less than half a brain for music...as this is just not my bag baby!

Very interesting but rather self indulgent.

...but I guess without songs like this the backlash of Punk and DIY music may have never been needed so urgently.

OsCKilO

I don’t get it.....

Really cool.... But They could have got a choir in to do that vocal backing...
Would have been cheaper and less time intensive....

Funny though...
People spend lots of time these days trying to get the hiss build up out of their music....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy