Happy Canada Day everybody. What is your favorite Canadian music?

Started by Bluesberry, July 01, 2010, 07:40:36 AM

upsetminded

Glad someone mentioned Black Mountain...Great Band.

The Headstones were fun in their time too.  The lead singer Hugh Dillon became an actor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiKEwlvj3S4
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

Got to this one a bit late, Neil Young for me but his earlier stuff. Buffalo Springfield era.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

upsetminded

I have to brag a little.  For those of you who are Blue Rodeo fans.  My cousin played with them in early 80's when they were known as The HiFi's.  I think they released one single (really just Greg Keelor and Jim Cuddy). My cousin would just play live with them.

I also had a few strange meetings with Greg Keelor as he lived for years in a little town here in Ontario.  He used to be stumble-bummed on the street in the day time, but always pleasant and gracious....I should mention these "stumble bummed" times were when they were already quite famous. 

Great artist and great guy, but believe me the way he would look back then sitting on the street I'm sure people that didn't recognize him from Blue Rodeo felt bad and threw a few coins his way.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone or speak ill of Mr. Keelor.  Just telling stories of what I saw growing up.
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

Bluesberry

No offense taken by me, I am a huge Blue Rodeo fan, and I love hearing stories like this about Mr. Keelor.  He is an original and a very talented singer/songwriter, one of Canada's finest as far as I am concerned.  And he is eccentric as hell.  I often suspect some of the stories like this are embellishments and exaggeration, but in this case it is definitely true as You saw this.  It doesn't in anyway diminish my love for his music hearing stuff like this.  He is honest and real as far as that goes.  Thanks for the great story upsetmind.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYBODY

ITS HARD TO BELIEVE A YEAR HAS PASSED SINCE WE LAST DID THIS............85% OF CANADIAN ADULTS WILL BE DRUNK OR STONED TODAY........OR JUST HIGH ON THE GOOD CANADIAN AIR...... LOL..........AND THE OTHER 15% WILL WISH THEY WERE...............

ITS ONLY 7:20 AM HERE, MY SON WOKE US ALL UP WAVING A CANADIAN FLAG LIKE CRAZY OVER OUR SLEEPING BODIES.......SO I AM UP NOW........A LITTLE EARLY TO START DRINKING.............STILL A LITTLE BLURRY FROM LAST NIGHT ..................

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

lets get this party started........lets hear it for a great Canadian artist.........Matthew Good.........he has a new CD out "Lights of Endangered Species", worth checking out folks, its brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQz9xZu5_5s

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

ODH

Likewise, Happy Canada Day, Canadians...

Skipping through some of the earlier posts, there's not a lot of Canadian music made out into the wide world is there?  Back when I was working for Harman Kardon, an American colleague put me onto Bruce Cockburn's Dancing in the Dragons Jaw album, which is now a firm fave.  Also Rush are right up there. Neil Young too.

Didn't realise Arcade Fire were Canadian.

Also, while we're on the subject, how do you explain Bryan Adams? ::)

On the list of National Days, can I put forward 1st March, St David's Day in Wales
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Bluesberry

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand