How did you find the Songcrafters website?

Started by Redler, June 24, 2010, 12:31:00 PM

launched

Drums, my friends - The crappy Micro BR drums. If it were not for that wonderful feature I would never have known this place.

The incredible production talent on this site is what got me to stay, though. Nigel, Geir, Greeny, Hoop, Flashman, 64Guitars and others really gave me a lot of motivation from listening to their pristine finished products.

And I've also made some great friends here, too - You absolutely can't beat that!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

chapperz66

A member called "Pinedog" recommended that I visit this site.  It was sometime in 2009.  I participated fairly actively for years in Yahoo groups for the BR1600 (and before that, the BR1180) and this chap sent me a PM saying have a look at this site.  So I did and have stuck around. I reckon I'll stay as long as you'll let me!

Although I don't use the same platform as most people here, it's a nice friendly site and you get to hear some good music.

Paul

Greeny

My Tascam 4-track portastudio 5 broke mid-song during the summer of 2008, and I remembered a review of the MBR that I'd seen in Guitarist magazine. After a bit of online research (including stumbling on this site), I decided that I'd be better off with a BR-600. But when I got to the store and saw the size of the MBR, I changed my mind. It's a choice I've never regretted.

Then it was back onto this site to learn how to use it. The tutorials gave me everything I needed to get started, and the rest, as they say, is history.

To say I've learned a lot from here is a wild understatement. I was absolutely floored by Hooper's production techniques, and it made me re-evaluate what I was doing myself. Then AndyR, Ferryman and Bosko tried to raise the bar even further! Then there are the amazing guitarists... Blooby, Geir, Satchwood to name but a few, who really made me feel inadequate and determined to improve. Then there was the influence of Bluesberry and 48 who re-awakened my old love of playing and singing the blues. And now I have henwrench and boognish as artists that I greatly admire but can't quite emulate. Then there's all the great people I've collaborated with... FlashHarry (50+ songs!!!), Prive, Hooper, RonnieJM, Ronnie Hucks, BB, 48, Covermark, henwrench to name but a few. And all the people I'd love to have a few drinks with in a bar oneday and see play live... lg, holdempok, Blooby, to name but a few. And those I've actually met - Tharek, Nigel and FlashHarry. And all the songwriters who continue to influence me... Geir, Tharek, AndyR, Launched, Gritter... TOO MANY TO MENTION!!!!!!

The list is almost endless. When you stop to think about it like this, it makes you realise what an important part of my life this place has become!

But lastly, I could never have imagined being in a band onto our 5th album. And the awe, respect and affection I feel for James and Mike, who are always on the same musical wavelength, and who help to prop me up when everything is falling apart, and allow us come up with songs that I will always be very proud of. This is someting I could never have imagined when I joined! Or the way that I can can send James 3 new guitar tracks in the morning to find he's done a vocal and a lyric for all of them by lunchtime!!!!

And of course, 64guitars... the heartbeat of this place!

Oh... and the thrill of Hooper covering my song 'The Rise and fall of Mr Hot' was very special indeed.

alfstone

Well...in summer 2007, after a long time playing no music at all, and after that a big healthy problem at home had gone luckily really well, I felt ready to begin playing my guitars again. I had to choose between a computer-based OR a hardware recording system, and after all I thought that the second was the best choice for me. So I bought a Boss BR-600, and I joined the BR-600 yahoo group, whose administrator was our Sessantaquattrochitarre  :D.

I've learned many, many things about using the BR-600 thanks to that yahoo-group, even if actually now I prefer using it only for "straight" recordings, and then finishing all the rest on the PC.

Anyway, in the last years the number of threads in the yahoo-group was more and more decreasing, BUT in a message of last April there was a mention about a thing called "songcrafters", I was completely ignoring...

...so here I am!  :D

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

lg

I was informed by Holdempok of this AWESOME forum.
He said, 'Hey, you really gotta check this place out'
And, after I did, I was hooked! The talent here is immense.
And, the people are all so friendly, and of course everyone here
likes just what I like....MUSIC!
I am so addicted to this forum, I don't know how I would make
it without out my little time slice every morning as I sit with
my coffee.
God I love this place!
And, I love all of you!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Gu Djin

Shan't repeat what I said in my intro"creeping in from the shadows".  But I will add the first time I came across the site was when I was researching alternative means for recording to the Zoom MRS8, which I had and still use, though mainly as a scratchpad.  I was looking for something more versatile and would accomodate midi etc.

Eventually I bought Sonar and Line6 UX2, which I still use - though the daw I mostly use these days is Sony ACID Pro 7.  Both have virtues and vices.

Although I joined the site at that time and popped back occasionally to see and hear what was happening, I only recently started posting and joining in.  Wish I'd done it a long time ago.

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

peterp

Caught this site mentioned on the Fender forums while discussing doing home recordings.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

SE

Had a guitar and some tune in my head, but had no means of recording them, checked some web sites out and happened across the MBR, bought the shiney little brick and took it home, that,s when my problems started, had no idea how this damm thing worked,read the manual, got some basics, but no further.
Back to the web to try and gline some info, any kind of info and by chance happened upon this place in october 2008. Anything I,ve learned so far has been from the people here, just listening to the music created here and how they when,t about it has taught me so much, so thanks to everyone for sharing their musical talent.

John
recorder
Boss BR-80

Vanncad

Hey – I Just looked at my registration date, and I guess I have been on this site for one whole year!!!

Damn time flies!

I was introduced to this site from 64's Boss Recorder forum. It was the only music forum I had ever posted on. 64 had put a couple different posts on his forum talking about this site, and I finally visited, and have been coming here regularly ever since. It's like my "newspaper" and "radio" all wrapped in one groovy package.

My wife gave me a BR600 for Christmas, but I really only used it for practicing, and making a couple recordings until I got on this site.
I admit – I was a little anxious and intimidated at first to post my songs to the "world", but after hearing some of the great music posted here and reading the positive feedback, I felt very welcome here.

I joined around the same time that "NeilFest" was wrapping up, and some of the first tunes that really struck me were Kody's "Cowgirl in the Sand", LESTG's "Cinnamon Girl", and just about every other tune on that jukebox. If you haven't checked out that jukebox yet – I highly recommend it.

That is what really sold me on this site. I love to read about how people collaborate, and I love hearing performances from all different skill levels and musical tastes. That's what really makes this site unique to me.

In the past year I have had the opportunity to collaborate with some really great people (and musicians), and been amazed and inspired time and again by the progress of some of the musicians on this site. I hope I have been able to inspire some people as well.

I am utterly amazed at how people can work, write and record their own tunes, collaborate with others, and still find time to listen to, and post comments on other's music here on a daily basis.

My hat is off to 64, Flash, ORH, Cuthbert and everyone else  here who manages and moderates the site.

I will be amazed if someday, I don't see someone from this site make it in the music business somehow.
Then I will say – "Hey - I knew that guy when..."
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

T.C. Elliott

What Vanncad said more or less.

64guitars posted in the yahoo thread about the site. I checked it out and enjoyed the forums. I'm a regular on the FAWM.ORG and 50/90 sites, so the song postings for me was a no brainer. It never occurred to me that it might be a bash fest. Naive though I be, I'm glad I came looking.

Someone earlier said that the production here was awesome (or something to that effect) and I have to agree, but I'm not one of them. My recordings are VERY rough and display lots of mistakes, yet everyone who comments listens to the song instead of the mistakes to give supportive feedback. Thank you everyone.

My plans are to finish m song a week attempt and then record the better of the songs for a best of song a week 2010 free download and I fully intend to use this place as a soundcheck on the recordings. Hopefully I'll actually learn to be better at polish... although sometimes raw works.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London