How did you find the Songcrafters website?

Started by Redler, June 24, 2010, 12:31:00 PM

Redler

I'm not sure if the header related topic already exists... I'm curious, and I suppose many of us wants to know how we ended here  :)

Here is my story: I was considering to buy Micro BR in april 2008 and tried find information of it. I found this site (I don't remember the original name) by googling "Boss Micro BR". So, soon I joined in here. The first year, I was lurking on the backround every now and then, but since last autumn I have been quite active member.

Here is my story, briefly. Tell us yours, please.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Brought my BR in March 2007 and struggled with it totally until I googled and found, and joined, this site in April 2008. Back in the day you could post and song and it would stay on the first page for about a week, and the site was more for of people like myself who were asking questions about how to use the BR's, rather than posting music like it has now become.

Learned everything I needed to know on here before being brave enough to start posting some music in early 2009.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Strangely enough, I was searching for compatible condenser mics, and I stumbled across this wonderful site. That was Nov 2009. Since then, because of this place, I've never produced so much of my own shit, or learnt so much about a wide variety of subjects...
    64 Guitars, I'm sure, is like the most knowledgeable being out there..... there ain't much that this person don't know about, or can dig out the most obscure information about the weirdest of requests.
   This place is amazing, highly addictive and definately a 'home'. I love it. And all who sail her.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Dumb luck brought me here like most everyone else. I was researching a Tascam guitar trainer. I read a review that said basically "for the money I'd buy a boss micro BR instead, it has way more functionality".

I started checking out the Micro BR, stumbled on microrecorders.org, and have been hooked ever since.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I bought a MicroBR in the spring of 2009 after not having written or recorded anything for the previous eight years. I found the MBR user guide wasn't super-helpful to a digital recording noob such as myself, so after my initial struggle with it I ended up doing a google search and hit upon this site and 64Guitar's page when they were still bossbr.net back in late June of 2009.

I started in with a few of the tutorials and researched some of the recorder help posts, and while initially my goal was to find more information about the MicroBR, I was soon struck by two very special things about the community here: very talented musicians and songwriters who were also enormously supportive of others. I introduced myself.

My first musical posts here were actually in a 'name that tune' type of thread started by SteveG, and from there, I began playing music and recording again. Once Pedro retired bossbr.net and songcrafters began, I started working down in the mailroom at songcrafters, and before I knew it, I had worked my way up to Global Moderator. I now work with three of the greatest guys in the biz and for me, the dream has become reality.  :)

Coming up on my 1 year anniversary here, I want to resolve to pick up the pace a bit in my next year.   ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Saijinn Maas

Jan 09 I purchased a Line6 TonePort that allowed me to plug my guitar into the computer to record. But after a couple of months, I wasn't happy with the quality of the plug-ins. So I started looking around for an alternative. I was already aware of the BR line of recorders, but the big ones were outside my price range. But then I came across the MBR. "Boss released a small one?!" I said to myself. So I started looking around for any information about it... reviews, tutorials, etc. Just happened across this place in a search and sat reading everything here and on 63G's site. After a few weeks of that, I talked my wife into letting me get the MBR and sold the TonePort. Best decision I ever made!

I had not played guitar seriously in over 5 years at the time, and only sporadically for the 20 years before that. This place, and all of the people here, are more responsible for my new enthusiasm in music and for the progress I've made in my playing in the last year I've been here!

It's amazing how much of a difference being a part of this site has made!

I love you all!  :'(

:D

Satchwood

Hmm, this is a cool thread....interesting too...   Here's my brief story....

Well, back in 2009, I just wanted to get back into playing guitar after having stopped playing for more than 5 years.  So i wanted to get a digital recorder so that i could solo over some backing tracks and maybe make a few of my own songs, so i purchased a Tascam from Guitar Center (April 2009); but i called them up because i was having problems over-dubbing guitar parts and such...

I never thought that i could afford a 4 or 8 track recorder, but Guitar Center told me, bring the Tascam back and they'd hook me up with something that would give me the capability that i really wanted.  

Voila, they introduced me to the Micro BR, but i barely was able to record a jam session with it the first night i had it....  I composed my first digital recording called Arizona Day, but had a helluva time with using this little strange silver box...

The next day i started doing internet searches and found this site!  I read every "how to" post that i could, read some of 64Guitars posts and others that explained how to use this little silver box.   What a life saver.........

I love the MBR and i love this site, and now i'm back to where i feel i left off years ago when i use to play the club scene, but now i'm really enjoying creating original songs & collaborating with friends from all over the world, which is really cool.  

I have to admit, though, the MBR and this Songcrafters site has kinda taken the place of playing out.   I don't know if i've grown lazy or what, but i find it really easy and really convenient to just be a one-man band or collab with other musicians, singers, & songwriters via the internet.  

I do miss the rush of playing live on stage, and miss it sometimes, but the convenience of producing originals with the MBR and posting one-man-band creations, or collaborating with others over the internet, like playing in virtual cyberspace bands, and then posting on this fabulous site has just made me a very happy camper!

Tommy Satchwood..
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Flash Harry

Well the mother ship dropped me off  while they went to look for petrol and a hotel for the night...... that was 25 years ago and ...
Anyway they're coming back for me soon....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

i took my vitaphone to the manufacturers for repair and thomas alva sent me here.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

I didn't find Songcrafters. It found me.  :)

On Dec 20, 2007, Pedro sent me the following invitation via email. I didn't know him at the time.

QuoteHi,

I've seen your website about Boss BR series and I think it is a very good work. Great content
and very well organized.
I created a Boss Micro BR Community and I'm emailing you to ask if you are interested in
joining? It is still in the beginning but I think it would benefit a lot from your knowledge.
Anyway, the website is http://microrecorders.org/

I would like it a lot to see you there!

Bye, take care
Pedro

I checked out the link he provided and was impressed with the site, so I joined right away. That was just four days after the first message was posted. I posted my first message the same day. Oldrottenhead had already posted his first song on Dec 17th (day 2 in the site's history). It's a wonderful song called "This Is The Day" (check it out).

Quote from: andrewh on June 24, 2010, 12:38:32 PMBack in the day you could post and song and it would stay on the first page for about a week, and the site was more for of people like myself who were asking questions about how to use the BR's, rather than posting music like it has now become.

We have oldrottenhead to thank for that. Although Pedro posted the first song on Dec 16th (day 1) and encouraged everyone to post their songs, I don't think the site would be the music mecca that it is today without oldrottenhead. He led the way with his song posts and collaborations with Pedro and others. I think that most of the rest of us were a bit reluctant to post our songs initially. But Jim's shining example encouraged us to start posting. It soon became clear that nobody was going to mock our work. Instead, everyone offered praise and encouragement. That's what sets Songcrafters apart from all of the other music forums.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website