10 Tips for Songwriting

Started by T.C. Elliott, June 20, 2010, 10:22:18 AM

launched

Quote from: maxit on October 07, 2011, 02:32:15 AM16%   18   study everything: theory, form, music, instrument
2%   2   be original
1%   1   drink whiskey, sometimes   

Thank you for producing the list Maxit - I love that stuff too, and appreciate statistical outcomes. This was an interesting one...

Wonder who the involved participants were as it seems contradictory to the overall feel of music creation in my mind. I interpret it as an insistence to be completely/foremost technically proficient, be unoriginal and don't drink. Sounds like a rote and robotic canvas to create songs with :)

Maybe I'm alone but I see the reverse of that list when it comes to songwriting: Stay in a close environment or shut yourself out entirely, put yourself in the mood with a few beers or a puff of weed or whatever you're into and then let it go from there. Worrying about how great the playing/singing is and what someone thinks of it can be done by the labcoat and clipboard people, because it doesn't matter.

I know the importance of practice, technique, experience, etc and I embrace it and love it. But it does sometimes overshadow the importance of "why". The pimply faced kid on youtube ripping killer and perfect leads just doesn't get it. Maybe after his girlfriend dumps him he will... ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

T.C. Elliott

That's a cool summation but it loses something in translation. I think I'll stick with the original list.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

launched

I completely understand - Apparently 115 others feel the same way so I must very well be the minority. I was just thinking from the other side of things, definitely not trying to upset anyone. Songwriting is an art from the heart and I feel that viewpoint gets lost sometimes, especially being in the technical world we live in. I tried to express my opinion respectfully but I guess it didn't come off that way. Sorry.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

apart from the first one in maxit's list i do all of them  lol, i never got into the first one at all, but all the others i do tho not necessarily in that order, i think thats why i hate dire straits.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 07, 2011, 01:00:33 PMapart from the first one in maxit's list i do all of them  lol, i never got into the first one at all, but all the others i do tho not necessarily in that order, i think thats why i hate dire straits.

The same here ORH........no music or theory study for me. I also do most of things on the list. Although music or songwriting is on my mind most of time. I try to take the knowledge I've accumulated thus far and just stretch it as far as I can. I figure after 47 years of being a musician, performing and writing songs that I've have enough in my head to carry me for a while, lol. Not that I can't or are opposed to learning new things, I just have plenty to work with right now. I get an idea for a song every time I pick up my guitar.....most don't make it to the recorder but the one's I think sound decent (and remember) do go on to make a song. Some good, some not so good but they are a song and I'll keep on doing it as long I can.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: launched on October 07, 2011, 12:49:16 PMI completely understand - Apparently 115 others feel the same way so I must very well be the minority. I was just thinking from the other side of things, definitely not trying to upset anyone. Songwriting is an art from the heart and I feel that viewpoint gets lost sometimes, especially being in the technical world we live in. I tried to express my opinion respectfully but I guess it didn't come off that way. Sorry.

I was referring to maxit's summation of the list. Your point about technique for technique's sake is very valid and one I mostly agree with. But I think the original list, if read, is like any advice. Often contradictory, some of it valid to a particular reader and some of it invalid to that same reader. And what might be good for me today will not be tomorrow. There are submitters who offer opposite advice in their own 10 tips. It's not intended to be the be all, end all, merely a way to get people to think about working in ways that may be outside of the norm.

You're post was not only reflective and respectful, but welcome, imo. And I'm sorry if it seemed that I was commenting directly to you as I wasn't.  But I would say, if you haven't read the e-book, to do so. maxit's summation was cool for what it was, but it lost the art of the book. There are some funny, good things about the art of songwriting that I feel was lost in his summation.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

maxit

Yes, I agree with T.C. Elliot. I just catched the only easiest things, mostly regarding technic - the other side, the 'heart' side of it, was difficult for me to reduce in such simple sentences. this very simplified list was just a way to show appreciation for this good work, and keep us talking for a while about songwriting.
ps I've heard M. Knopfler still studies guitar several hours a day  :D
!!!!!!
recorder
Audacity