Professional Musicians

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, June 16, 2010, 11:52:33 AM

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on June 17, 2010, 05:53:00 AMNever been pro and never been paid for anything music-related. I've never even hung out with professional musicians.

I just do it for the love of it.

Lyrically though, I have had my poetry published and other bits and pieces of writing, so I guess I have a bit of a head start in that area.

There's plenty of people on here with far more talent than so-called professionals!!!!
Tim, I'd say you were amongst those who should be doing it professionally.

David Gray busked on the London Underground for long enough before he made a big name for himself. He put the time in and did the leg work. You have the talent, you could do it too.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

recorder
Boss BR-800

OsCKilO

I owe my musical stuff to the site.

Been playing seriously since March 2009 and started recording at the same time....

Never played more than a riff on a guitar before then..

Been Playing Live since November... Really Addictive!

It is payment enough when someone in the audience really likes one of my songs...

But out of interest, How do people get paid for music these days anyway? I always wondered.....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Glenn Mitchell

I've been in a lot of bands starting in the early 60's doing pop for "Teentown" gigs.
Then a bunch of late 60's Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Beach boys etc.
Then for 20 years I did backup for way too many Legions & weddings.
I recently did a very long year with a 12 pc funk/Chicago/Earth Wind & fire band.
I am now working up a small band of my originals with absolutely no idea where to sell it.
Band work is like a bad habit. You know better that it's killing you but you go back and do it again anyway.
And yes, for having played for about 50 years I really should be a LOT better. Lol
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

SdC

Quote from: OsCKilO on June 28, 2010, 03:15:27 PMow do people get paid for music these days anyway? ...

* Get your music published with a reliable label. They should be enforcing the copyright (tracking down where it is used and getting the royalties for you from the "author societies" in various countries. This includes nominal royalties that are collected in bulk (for instance from pubs or streaming websites that pay a flat fee that gets divided up between all registered publishing artists). If you are really lucky your songs gets used in a Volkswagen ad that will make you rich and famous.
* play live, and not just for beer. Sell out a stadium. In the early nineties I've busked my way around Europe, but thaat was not a great career choice.... but fun!
* endorsements. Not only do you get free gear, you get paid AND your face plastered in music mags ads.

recorder
Boss BR-600

upsetminded

I've played with bands at venues only ever being paid in beer.  I think it's better than cash...I would consider myself quite unprofessional when I play. :D
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor