Live performance yesterday.

Started by Geir, June 06, 2010, 11:14:25 AM

Geir

Hey

Yesterday I was invited to a good friend of mine's birthdayparty. He had asked me to perform a couple of songs, and tho it's been a while since I've done any solo-performance I agreed to play three songs. He specifically asked me to do something of Ole Paus, a Norwegian singer/songwriter. I chose a song he'd written together with Jonas Fjeld "Engler i sneen" ("Angels in the snow"). But I couldn't resist the chance to play one of my own song and I also wanted to do one of the most beautiful songs I've heard, "Sometimes it happens" written by Jackofall and ORH. From my one songs I chose "This is a song".

I packed my bag with guitarchord, extra strings, extra batteries, plenty of picks, a capo,  and my mbr + misc cables to be able to plug the mbr to the mixer. All good ? Yep ...

The party started outdoors and I was a part of the band playing during the party. We played some Norwegian and Swedish songs + + + .... band consisting of double-bass, keys, saxophone and drums.

during our first songs (before dinner was served) one of the ladies shouted for me to sing a song of "Lillebjørn Nilsen", an artist that also has thought half of the Norwegian population to play guitar. For a couple of decades his "Lillebjørns gitar bok" was the bible for every aspiring young (acoustic) guitarist. .... it went rather good, but I didn't have time to push record on my mbr :(

ok dinner ...  a break ... we move the PA and instruments inside the restaurant. .... some more songs ... a quiz or two .... coffee .... more songs .... and then ... as the "official" part of the birthday is about to end I'm called up on stage ..... there's about 50 people at the party. ... ok ... mbr is plugged to the mixer ... I've checked the levels during the other songs ... I push record ... pick up my guitar ... plug it in .... find the lyric-sheets .....

and go up to the mic ......

I do a decent performance, singing goes rather well .... some chords get mixed up, but no major flaws ( G instead of em and vice versa) .... get a big applause ... each song is received very well. ... I tell the story of how I found this wonderful site and how it has been a big inspiration to me before playing "Sometimes it happens". I take a bow after finishing with "This is a song" put the guitar on the stand and bend over the mixer to push stop ........... ##¤&"#%= ..... [REC] [REC] blinking .... i forgot to push play after rec ....... STUPID STUPID STUPID me !!!!!!!

Well today I set up a mic-stand and a note-stand .. plugged my guitar and mic into my Korg-D16 and did a "live" recording of the three songs the same way I played them yesterday.

I will post them all here soon.

Next time I WILL push play after rec !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Pity we don't get to hear the real live result, but great story and what a great event. And you are such a talented musicican to be able to play all those different styles and formats in one gig!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Nice one Geir, it's a real buzz playing live. I haven't managed to record a single one of my recent gigs, ability to think deserts me and I become useless for anything other than the job in hand.

I sympathise. I would have loved to have heard it.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gnasty

Damn Geir. I know that would be something i would do so don`t be too pissed, although i would be that too.

It would of been cool to hear that, and i`m sure you`ll do it again. Can`t wait to hear these live recordings anyway.

I enjoy hearing you no matter what the situation.

PeAce
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tony W

That's one of the reasons I don't do live gigs. Well that and I'm not even close to being ready to be on stage. I thought you have the MicroBR - Viking Warlord Edition. I hear it fears the master so much It continuously records when the master makes a sound.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

henwrench

Doh!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

We know you did well, but it's a bummer you had tech difficulties, and the "re-recorded live" one you did is awesome!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

cool G!!!!!!

you gonna perform live more?

I think the world deserves it...!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy