Good Lord, I hate Microsoft

Started by Blooby, June 06, 2010, 05:45:11 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on June 06, 2010, 07:16:28 AMI have been curious about Linux but have been concerned about compatibility issues with my go-to programs.

That's the great thing about being able to boot ubuntu from the CD without actually installing it on your hard drive. It lets you check it out and test your apps for compatibility. For most Windows apps, there is a free app available that's as good or better. For example, I use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, and GIMP instead of PhotoShop. Also, you can run many Windows programs under linux using Wine which adds the libraries needed to run Windows software. I run BR Wave Converter, BR Rhythm Editor, and BR Explorer under Wine. And there are native linux versions of some of the apps which you may now be using under Windows (Firefox and Audacity, for example).

Which "go-to" programs do you need?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Vanncad

Okay - I'll be the Devil's advocate. I actually like MS Products.

I use MS Office every day and I like the way the products integrate with each other and how you can use macros to automate a lot of the functionality. I've never really ever had a problem with any of their software (knock on wood).

I do have a few beefs with SharePoint and I do hate Vista though.  >:(
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

henwrench

Is this whole thread 'geek speak'? I know not of what any of you speak.... my computing device types in pencil and has an old fashioned (but to me very modern) compact cassette recorder permanantly attatched to it's innards that allows me to play a wonderful game called 'The Prize'. Big Red Letters say Spectrum 48, before which my only knowledge extends to ZX81....

h     e     n     w     r     e     n    c     h
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

I was happy. Things were up and running. I transferred over over 200 gigs of data from the old hard drive. Went and had a meal, and now the %ucking thing will turn on but is not sending any signal to the monitor...blackness.

I hate this.

64Guitars

Do you hear a series of diagnostic beeps when you turn the power on? If so, then try re-seating the memory cards and video card (if it has one). If there are no beeps or just one beep (indicating normal power-on), then the problem might be with the monitor. Check the obvious; that the cable hasn't come loose or fallen out, and the controls didn't accidentally get bumped to some strange setting. If you have another monitor available, try that too. Or connect your new monitor to another computer to see if it works.

If it's not the monitor and your motherboard has on-board graphics rather than a separate video card, then the most likely cause is a defective or badly seated memory card. If there are two memory cards on the motherboard, try one at a time in bank 0 to see which one is defective.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

One beep.

Thanks for all your input. I was planning on bringing another monitor home from work today (and cable).  

More to follow in the saga.

Blooby

lg

Oh Man, this is giving me the monday morning blues just
reading about your pain [in the ass] problem.
Perhaps an  'I've got the monday morning MS computer blues....'
Best of luck Blooby!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Tony W

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 06, 2010, 07:16:38 AMI work with Microsoft products all the time. I am amazed that identical operating systems loaded onto identical hardware using the same method sometimes produces different results.

I can't say that I hate Microsofts products, they keep me in employment.
I can understand how people become frustrated by them.

I too am in that category, and my opinion is, if Microsoft worked better, my wages would be severely cut. Thank you Microsoft!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

After replacing cables last night, I still could not get a signal to the monitor.  I also shut it down, unplugged it, left it alone, opened it up to see if anything visible was going on, etc.

I just walked in a minute ago, and the damn thing booted right up.

Now, I'm really afraid.

Tune in later for what I'm sure will be another side-splitting episode of Bruce and his Possessed Computer.  Brought to you by Ovaltine.

Blooby

Tony W

You work in a school system right? Doesn't that mean, by default you have an excellent source of nerds to choose from?

Find this guy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR