50 Songs In 90 Days

Started by T.C. Elliott, June 05, 2010, 05:57:42 PM

T.C. Elliott

FAWM.ORG has hosted 50 songs in 90 days the past two years. It is unclear if they will do so again, but there is also a yahoo list that is sometimes used. I've participated the past two years and will participate again this year, although I am doubtful to make 50. (I made 51 in 2008 and 49 in 2007.)

Anyway, I wanted ya'll to be aware of another timed songwriting challenge. It really makes writing a mere song a week easy. But as you can tell from my postings I don't spend the time on the demos as much as most of ya'll... you put me to shame and it's amazing what you can do. This site is amazing.

Just making you aware of the challenge if anyone wants to participate. I'll update the thread if hosting continues as it has the past two years.

T.C.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Bluesberry

It looks interesting for sure, anything to make you write more songs is a good thing.  There are a few on here that have that kind of output, I'm thinking of Greeny and ORH for example.  I find I am doing good to squeeze out one every 3 or 4 weeks, but then again I like to do the full demo deal each time usually, so I don't know, I probably could bang out maybe one a week with just my acoustic.  I find I enjoy the production side as much as the writing part, all the sounds, painting with sound as it were, so I am not sure I could strip it all back to just acoustic guitar for every song.  Interesting for sure.  I am on the 12-16 songs a year challenge I find.  :D Thanks for the heads up TC.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

To be honest, when I hit 50 songs only about 10-15 are what I'd call "keepers." That being said, if I hadn't done 50/90 the past two years my song a week songs wouldn't be nearly consistent. I'm still not happy with some of the song a weeks this year, but you should hear my 'bad' songs from 50/90 and even FAWM. I mean really bad. Sometimes you just write something to have it done.

The bonus for me is that all those non-keepers have value as well. If it weren't for those challenges I'd never have written a song lyric first. I've had success doing it even though it is not my most natural method. The drawback (for me) is that I'm pretty happy with half finished demos at this point. I seldom take the time to do drums on a song that would benefit from it because for me it's songwriting and not recording.

That's part of the reason that this site is so wonderful. The level of demos here is higher than over there. Not to say there aren't great ones there as well, but here the standard is higher. I hope that I'm slowly getting to the point where my demos are better as I stay around here. (ie, I don't settle for getting the idea down before moving on.)

Also the community there is awesome... but it's just as awesome here. A bit different, but that's a good thing. So, this is more of a 'it is out there' and 'if you wanna try it that'd be great' as opposed to a 'I think we all should do it.'  Cuz this place is nearly perfect for encouraging songwriting/recording which is what all those challenges are about.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

T.C. Elliott

A brand new site is up and running for 50/90. If anyone is interested.

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper