You Drive Me More Than Wild

Started by Black Mary, May 31, 2010, 12:25:37 PM

henwrench

Fantastic stuff. Personally I think the vocals are brilliant, but then again I am a BIG Tom Waits fan...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

You know what, its the off kilter swagger here that makes this work so well.  If you re-do this it will be too much on the beat, and it is this loose sense of beat that works so well.  This is a love song for that girl you just met at the bar, and 15 beer later you are trying to coax her home, thats what I hear,  then that damn solo comes in, fantastic and loose.  I really like it just the way it is.  It reminds me kinda of Neil Young vibe like from his mid 70's period when he was so open and loose and heavy electric guitar (Tonights the Night - Zuma period).  This is raw and real.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Bluesy is right! Though the vox are not what I would call "perfect", this really works! Love the guitar solo too! Frickin great groove and feels to this. I don't know that anyone could say redoing the vox would make this better. It's pretty right on as it stands. You can find love while being drunk too!  :P

Vanncad

Booze is a good songwriting tool!  ;D

Great classic vibe with a heavy edge!

Damn dude - you sound like Alice Cooper on this one.

Good job!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Johnbee

Unique!  I can hear all of those pretty major 7 chords in there like a love song would have, but to a heavy rock beat. I guess this gives a new definition to the term "Power Ballad".  For as great as it sounds in this style, I'm still curious as to how it would sound in the traditional "ballad" style.  I like your "innovative-ness".  Interesting what alcohol use brings into some peoples minds-especially artists!  ;)

:) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Black Mary

Thanks everybody for the comments. Lots of interesting stuff you've mentioned. Yeah JohnBee, glad the maj7 chords cut through ok. I agree, it would be interesting to hear a more 'traditional' love song arrangement. However I was  'method acting' ( In other words Drunk ;D ) and it was begging to be played like a loser in love on his way down lol. The vox could definately be redone, but as so many of you have pointed out, it probably wouldn't sound authentic drunk. I'm going to leave it for now. I trust people's opinions on this one. Thanks again everyone for the absolutely fantastic constructive comments, and for listening.
BM
kingliggermusic

Kevin Mammoth

Yes there is love all over the place on songcrafters at the moment - but there is definitely some tougher than usual love going on in this song - you nailed the "played like a loser in love on the way down" vibe on this one.  Oozes late night authenticity!
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Greeny

I love how raw and 'real' this is, but there's still a great melody and musicality at it's core. The solo is superb too. I wouldn't change the vocal - it just adds to the overall feel. Great work again.

chapperz66

Dead cool BM.  I wouldn't change the vocal either - but if you do decide to clean it up, make sure you keep the original somewhere.  It will be the version you want to listen to when you've had a couple of beers next time.

Paul

Satchwood

I agree with the Alice Cooper reference for sure ~ got the grungy sleazy drunken vocal to fit his singing style and the attitude to boot!!   I dig the guitars and percussion too : Cool fun stuff !
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)