recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

This is so Blooby. This is so not Blooby. As the bass begins, I'm already thinking, This is different. The keyboard swells... the arpeggios... Nice, but where's Blooby! And then... Found him!

I'm hearing a little Holdsworth flavoring in this – the tone, the phrasing – just a little. Is he an influence?

I didn't let the film-noir suggestion influence how I heard this too much. There's a fascinating ambiguity throughout this. It sounds as though it alternates between minor and major – between mysterious and uplifting – without really changing harmonically at all.

Blackout Bump - week of 23 May, 2010
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ron D Bowes

Cool vibe. It's great when people dig old gems that turn out well. When i dig - I find one gem to 4 turkeys LOL. Nice job Blooby

StephenM

turkey is good... I eat alot of it...lol

Blooby is a fantastic guitarist and very good at recording as well... likely a really good bass player...

this was very good...nice bump... I am happy to hear Blooby and Lurker anytime... major talents...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

I appreciate the bump. This was back when I first got the BR-1600. Static drums, static bass, and lots of egregious playing. Yes, I have listened to loads of Holdsworth although I don't hear it myself.

On a related note, Holdsworth's record company relased some unfinished tracks for an album called Velvet Darkness. Holdsworth was miffed to say the least, but I can't help but love the release, especially the three acoustic tunes. It was re-released on CD, but several of the tracks were different versions. The original album release is below. The third tune "Kinder" around 5:20 practically moves me to tears every time I hear it.

StephenM

yes Bruce, I can hear the influence in your playing... maybe only in spots.  listening to the album there it reminds me of everything from the very early Journey (non commercial, pre singer Steve days, somewhat prog, somewhat psych, somewhat rock and jazz)... also a bit of the Steely Dan... likely the chording is similar.  I got a chuckle from the wikipedia article that he despised his time in UK... it was too structured for him... I believe it!  Wetton however is my favorite musician... but this and Wetton etc don't fit at all...chemistry in the band does matter.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on December 09, 2022, 09:32:56 AMThe third tune "Kinder" around 5:20 practically moves me to tears every time I hear it.

That is a good song. I haven't heard much of his acoustic work. In 1982 I saw Allan Holdsworth I.O.U. at small jazz club in Tempe, Arizona, with Jeff Berlin on bass, and Chad Wackerman on drums. (The same club where I saw Jaco Pastorius in 1983, as long as I'm dropping "I saws.") I don't have the musical vocabulary or ear training to say what about this song reminds me of Holdsworth, but it's a subtle thing. I hesitated to ask, because I know I can't put my finger on what triggered the comparison.

I was just looking on setlist.fm to remember what year I saw Holdsworth, and I found an old friend who had clicked the "I was there" button. We must have gone together.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac