Recording Roland V-drums

Started by kennyrain, September 05, 2008, 10:21:20 AM

Hi, and good day to all!!  ;D

I just bought my Micro BR the other day, and i'd like to say that im really happy with it! :D

I do have a question though:
I Have a Roland TD-12K V-drumkit at home, and one of the reasons why i bought the Micro BR, is because i wanted to record some drum tracks from my kit. I do have a problem though, the sound that i get when i plug it into the Micro BR, is that the kit sound sounds pretty awful, and i have to turn the cymbals and bass drum down real low, so i cant even hear the bass drum, for the sound to be "Clean". Unless i do this the sound gets distorted, and the sign "LOUD" displays on the MICRO BR display :-\. I think i have the connection in order aswell, but ill show you how i connect it

V-Drum's Mono input (Left, behind the "monitor" on the kit)  - Input Mic / Stereo(on the Micro BR) - Output from MICRO BR to a headset.

I really hope somebody does have some advice, tips or help.

Thanks for your attention ;D

PS: Sorry for my poor language, im not english

64Guitars

Your drums are stereo and the Micro BR's LINE IN jack is stereo, so you should connect cables from both of the TD-12K's MASTER OUT jacks (L(MONO) and R) to the Micro BR's LINE IN mini jack. Then you need to correctly set the TD-12K's MASTER level control (top-right corner of TD-12K Sound Module) and the Micro BR's input sensitivity so that the LOUD indicator does not come on. Here's how to set the Micro BR's input sensitivity:

1) Press INPUT.
2) Press TR3 to select the Line input (LIN).
3) Use the CURSOR [<][>] buttons to select Sns: (sensitivity), then use the VALUE [-][+] buttons to change the value to 0dB (if it isn't already there).
4) Adjust the TD-12K's MASTER level control as high as possible without making the Micro BR's OVER indicator come on while you're playing the drums hard. If you find that you have to turn the TD-12K's MASTER control almost all the way off, then go back to step 3 and adjust the Micro BR's input sensitivity to some other value and try step 4 again.

Once you've got the TD-12K's MASTER control and the Micro BR's input sensitivity correctly set, you can select the two tracks you wish to record to, then adjust the INPUT LEVEL control on the side of the Micro BR for the correct recording level as indicated by the level meter. See pages 29 and 39 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ok, ill try my way around, and ill come back later if i get any more problems!  :) Thanks alot mate, really appreciate it!  :D

kernowkid

Hi,

I don't know if it helps, but ......

I use an Alesis SR-16 going into the BR. I had the same problem, so I input through the guitar input and the sound was just what I wanted.

Hope this helps.

Good luck