Is it just me...?

Started by Greeny, May 18, 2010, 03:24:10 AM

No it isn't just you, we all have periods of self doubt, usually for me when I've been to a gig and seen somebody or heard something that's knocked my socks off. I stopped playing for about ten years when the last band I was with turned pro and I'd been down that route 40 years ago, great fun but no pension. Having bought a BR900cd and finding this site (purely by chance) I am revitalised and can't wait to either get on with the playing and writing or listening to what everybody else is posting. 10 years off is a bit drastic, maybe take a break for a couple of days and see if if that recharges the batteries. I bet it does.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

lg

Tim this is an awesome thread indeed!
I am of the school of thought that we all have these feelings
they stem from little insecurities deep within us.....
You indeed have a 'sound', that is instantly recognizable as 'Greeny!!!!
This is TRUE!
But, this is not a bad thing....
How about the Beatles, or the Doors, or the Who, or anyone else!
Instantly we know who it is....
The Beatles went to India to change up the pace, shall we say.
If I may speak for myself, I personally not only look forward
to your new postings, but I think of you as a modern day John Lennon!
So, I say, Stand up, Buckle up, and get cracking, at the new material....
We are all waiting to hear your stuff Tim!

Your fan and fellow musician,
LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

T.C. Elliott

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Black Mary

Great link T.C. Everything he says is true ;). Listening to different genres especially. It makes you think in a way you wouldn't normally do, and play things you wouldn't normally play when you're on automatic pilot, but you're own style you've built up will always have precedence & this makes for some great ideas, which at first don't feel like your own, but in fact they're totally your own. This also stops you from writing yourself into a corner, where nothing you can think of sounds like the rest of the stuff you've wrote. Don't throw anything away. Record as much as possible. Even if you're not convinced what you've just written is any good, go back to it later and listen with fresh ears.A melody you had at the time might not be working, but the chords were great. Get a dictaphone & hum melodies over your tune. You'll find the classic.
You're still writin em & all sound great ;D
kingliggermusic

fenderbender

Everyone -young and old has been down this road so many times
Music should be enjoyable -even fun-(now that can be hard work-)
but we are all limited in what we know/do/or try and play-
really -top priority should be enjoyment -
 A 3 chord/2 chord/even a one chord song ( I did a one chord song a while ago /one of our new members has posted a one chord song)-it's firstly for your enjoyment-
I've recorded this one -it's OK-will I post it????-YES!!!!!!!
If you pleased with the way a song turns out -post it!!
Songwriting is (to me -a hit and miss affair) when nothing happens -I go back to basics and do an easy cover
When it sounds OK -I will post it. It's great if it goes down well -but it's the fact that being part of songcrafters that is special and the gang here.
So Kenneth -if you cant come up with a new song -go and do a cover-
Good luck buddy-hit that red button.

Tommy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

kenny mac

Looking forward to hearing the results from jim.
It's a funny old game,sometimes it flows like a river ,other times you've got to wait for a drop to appear  ;D