Is it just me...?

Started by Greeny, May 18, 2010, 03:24:10 AM

Greeny

Wow! Thanks TC. That's a very detailed response! There are some fantastic tips in there. I really appreciate the time you spent putting them down. I will be trying quite a few of those.

This should be made into a permanent thread for anyone else who runs into a similar brick wall, because there's a lot of good and exceptionally practical advice for anyone who makes music in the way we do.

Jim1970

Great Post Tim!!!
Some really great Thoughts and Responses Here!!
I feel the Same way sometimes that everything I Write and record sounds Wrong.
I have just Started to Explore the World of Alternate tunings.
I have been experimenting with Open C, D Tunings and I am Having a lot of fun with them.  Its amazing on How you can Hear So many Different Classic and Popular songs that used these Tunings By just experimenting with them.
I think as long as I am having fun. Thats all that matters!
Rock on Tim! Your music has been a great inspiration to me to keep on Playing on Writing!
JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

A friend is compiling a free EBook '10 secrets of songwriting' or '10 tips for songwriting' or something. I contributed to it a while back and am hoping it is available shortly. It doesn't specifically deal with writer's block or staleness but I would be willing to bet some of the suggestions in there would help.

If/when it comes out I'll be sure to put up a link. And if anyone is wanting to contribute to it you can get the information here: http://www.songwright.co.uk/2010/05/08/10-songwriting-tips-the-story-so-far/

Thanks for the kind words and I truly hope it helps.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Vanncad

Let me share a story:

Many years ago, I worked at a job that was driving me nuts. My new boss was an idiot, and the stress was not worth it. One particularly sh*tty day, I just jumped in my car and left. I had been playing in a band for years, and had written some songs and thought I had some pretty good stuff.

When I got home that day, I had no idea what I was going to do next. I had just left a job that I had devoted many years of my life to (right out of highschool). I started looking on-line at different song writing websites to see if there was any information about how to get into the business. This was about 10 years ago, so there weren't as many resources as there are now.

Anyways - I got on a site for ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers), and found out that the president (I think that's what he was at the time) was from my hometown.
I sent him an e-mail, not really expecting a response.
To my surprise - the guy called my house that afternoon and we talked for about 45 minutes. I asked him about getting into the songwriting business, and he told me this. Quote: "Unless you are willing to relocate to Nashville, L.A., or Vancouver, you're chances of being a professional songwriter are pretty slim".

I decided to go to college and get a diploma instead.  ;D

Now  - remember this was about 10 years ago and things have changed dramatically. Just look at the way collaborations are done on this site and how many professional musicians are doing the same thing. There really is no reason to have to relocate your family to sell a song these days.

I have also sat at a friend's house and watched this guy (Bobnoxious) call record labels on the back of cassettes, to try to get his band promoted. He is now opening for the Scorpions at Sarnia Ontario's Bayfest this year.

The point I guess is that you shouldn't be afraid to call or e-mail anyone with questions regarding anything. There are some really nice, helpful people out there. You just have to ask yourself if it's something you want to pursue professionally.

I personally think your stuff would stand up.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

henwrench

Tim,

I seem to remember reading somewhere around these parts, that you like to have a song 'finished' before you begin to record it. Old henwrench works in totally the opposite way... I write as I record, always have done. All my shit is made up as I go along. I'll have the loosest of ideas, sometimes just a 'concept', such as the thought of hiding under someones bed (Jane's Room) or a few chords that may or may not end up in the sequence I originally thought of. All other bits, bass etc are 'written' as I record them. Plus, I never, ever practice anything. I just play it for real. The downside to this approach is that I haven't got a clue what any of my 'songs' are. I just get in the bubble and only pop it when I'm done, then instantly forget everything I've done, usually because the real world comes knockin'...

And yeah, learning a new instrument is invaluable. Chords sound different on the ukulele to the guitar, for example. So write a song on an alien instrument to stop your fingers going back to a comfortable position. Also, never have preconceived ideas, let your ideas take you for a ride and enjoy...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: henwrench on May 18, 2010, 11:52:19 AMI seem to remember reading somewhere around these parts, that you like to have a song 'finished' before you begin to record it. Old henwrench works in totally the opposite way... I write as I record, always have done. All my shit is made up as I go along. I'll have the loosest of ideas, sometimes just a 'concept', such as the thought of hiding under someones bed (Jane's Room) or a few chords that may or may not end up in the sequence I originally thought of. All other bits, bass etc are 'written' as I record them. Plus, I never, ever practice anything. I just play it for real. The downside to this approach is that I haven't got a clue what any of my 'songs' are. I just get in the bubble and only pop it when I'm done, then instantly forget everything I've done, usually because the real world comes knockin'...

henwrench
Hey Henwrench, this sounds 100% to how I write my songs too.  I have a few chords,  some vague idea of subject, turn on the machine and see where it goes.  Almost every time.  Its always a mystery to me.  Lately I am thinking of trying to map one out completly beforehand, just for the hell of it because I almost never do it this way.  I guess the point is try something different than the usual "normal" way of doing things once in a while.  I am not very prolific, I can usually only manage one original song a month, so once I am finsihed something, with a few days/week off, I am ready to get back in the saddle again.

The whole songwriting thing is such a bloody mystery and I an continually amazed that I come up with stuff at all on a regular basis.  It is a blessing really.  I say either take a break, or do the opposite, write a 35 minute opus, go crazy, let it all out, lets have one song that lasts for a whole album.  I don't know the answer at all.  Its all a mystery to me.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

I'm glad I don't have creativity issues when it comes to writing songs, since I'm so infrequent with it. My stumbling block is coming with commenting on posted music. My complete lack of musical insight leaves me with very little to say. I feel terrible for canned comments.

I take that back, my stumbling block is a lack of ability to get whats in my head on to a fretboard.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Saijinn Maas

Add me to that list of Henny and BB! I write most everything AS I record it. It just works a lot better for me. I tend to get stuck if I try to write to whole thing first. It's exciting to start recording and not know how it is gonna end ;) It keeps my interest that way.

Also... whenever I feel like I am stuck writing my own stuff, I'll take a break and do a cover song. That is why I like the Fests so much. It allows me to not have to think nearly as much beyond how I wanna change a song.

T.C. Elliott

I usually get a verse and a chorus then put it down on tape (ok on the BR -900.) Then I work on it some more until I have the song pretty much finished. All the lyric finished (possibly to be re-written as I record etc) and all the sections pretty much done. So the chords and rhythm etc are usually done for the verse and chorus, intro and pre chorus and bridge if it has any of those.

Then I record and arrange. Decide what instruments to use and what goes where. BUT, as I do this and play sometimes it changes as I add stuff. If I hear a crunchy guitar I might record it and then not use it or only  use it in places. If I hear an active bass line I might later re-record a very tame one instead etc. Almost always there's a tweak to the lyric as I sing it. While I might have a scratch track the vocal is the last or next to last I record most of the time. Lead bits and that sort of thing might be last or added as an afterthought.

So to me it's two parts that sometimes overlap. Writing and arranging/recording. It sounds to me like for some of you the writing and arranging bits are pretty much combined. Which is very cool. I've done that a few times myself and I like it a lot. But I don't normally work that way.

My way sometimes I can listen to a song and then decide from the get-go that it will change. Ie, it's pretty folky and then I can added a drum part or heavy guitar and make it much more of a rock song. Your way those decisions seem a bit more a part of the song itself. My way is the glove and your way is the hand? At least sometimes?  Ah well I'm rambling and gotta go get the kid.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

i hit things and see what happens, then if something okay happens i hit something else. and like henny when its done its done, i find it almost impossible to reproduce a song ive done, unless i try right away. i move onto the next one and hit more stuff.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann