R.I.P DIO

Started by Gnasty, May 16, 2010, 04:33:27 PM

Gnasty

It`s sad to hear the news about the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Dying from stomach cancer.

He was in great bands like Rainbow, Sabbath,and of course DIO. He started off in the band ELF. He was  close to being a little person but had gigantic vocals that were very decisive. You knew who he was the second he started to sing.

He will forever be a Heavy Metal Legend!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSt1oEIshE
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Satchwood

Man, that sux!  Ronnie James Dio was a great singer and songwriter ~ always dealing with the battle between good and evil. 

I saw him twice; once with Rainbow and the other time Yngwie opened for him.  Dio had this 18 year old guitar player that was wicked....

What a loss.........
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Gnasty

QuoteDio had this 18 year old guitar player that was wicked

Dude yeah!!! I saw that same concert. Wasn`t it like 1990?? I think the guitar player was actually 16 though!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Satchwood

Yes, i believe it was 1990 or there abouts, and i think your right, the kid was only 16!  It was great show.  I think Dio's keyboard player was Yngwie's old keyboard player.  What a flippin great show!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

OsCKilO

The guy inspired the band that made me want to play guitar (Tenacious D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7nWwyC3AJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmU7FshBwgg

He had a cameo in this...

Rest in peace Dio...

You rocked!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Saijinn Maas

Oh crap! I just got home and found out about this.

He will be missed. One of my biggest influences when I was just getting into metal as a pre-teen.

\m/

Ted

Metal never was my kind of music.  However, I've been doing my part to be more receptive.  Just yesterday I was watching the documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey--for the second time.  And for the second time it struck me that Dio was, without a question, the most likable person  interviewed in the movie.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

He left some really great songs behind when he left. My first encounter with his music was the first Rainbow albums, and I still remember that feeling listening to this HUGE voice that sounded like no other voice I'd ever heard. It was pure heaven and pure evil at the same time, so powerful ... so hypnotizing ....

I followed his music for many years, saw him only one time live, in '98 I think, and have played some of his songs in various bands. From "Man on the silver mountain" in one of the first bands I were in, to "Stargazer" and "Heaven and Hell" with LiFF and I've posted my acoustic version of "Holy Diver" here on this site.  His voice was unique and impossible to even get close to for us mortals, but he also was a great songwriter and made some wonderful melodic songs.

He will be missed, 

but his music will live on .....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Sad news :(

He was a formidable singer
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

chapperz66

What tragic news.  He was a truly great vocalist.  I saw him with Rainbow at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) in 1976.  A physically small man, he nonetheless commanded the stage despite the presence of Ritchie Blackmore - which is no mean feat.

A true icon in my opinion.

I just hope Kerry Livgren makes some form of recovery.

Paul