First Song on my Micro BR - 'Elderflower & Midnight'

Started by Greeny, September 01, 2008, 02:32:44 AM

Greeny

01_elderflower and midnight
Time:
0:00
Volume:
My first stab at a serious recording on my new Micro BR. I was a little daunted at first by all the functionality on board and the dizzying complexity of the manual, but it's an amazing piece of kit. Looks like the start of a long and happy relationship... !

This song is an old live favourite of mine - 'Elderflower and Midnight'. It's got two guitar parts (Ibanez Electro-Acoustic and a Fender Tele), bass, and vocals. As always, I've stuck to 4 tracks - it helps to stop me over-elaborating.

Hope you like it.

Greeny

p.s. This is my own composition - and improved / honed from playing it live in various pubs over the last year or two. I find playing live really helps to 'get inside' a song.  :)

Oldrottenhead

great song great recording great performance bloody awesome. id love to hear a version where you do overelaborate. please post the lyrics.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Thanks!

Here's the lyrics. Simple but personal...

Elderflower and Midnight (2008)
Music and Lyrics by Tim Green

I'll thread the stars for you
I'll pluck them twinkling from the deep blue
With the murmur of the leaves
As the tucked up city sleeps

And with the night time in our sails
Let me read your curves like Braille

Elderflower and midnight – two ivy-tangled dreamers
Elderflower and midnight – 'till the dawn streaks the sky and i'm in...
L-O-V-E... love

We could talk for hours
Falling fireworks in glitter showers
Steal my jaded heart
With your woman's art

And with the night time in our sails
Let me read your curves like Braille

Elderflower and midnight – two ivy-tangled dreamers
Elderflower and midnight – 'till the dawn streaks the sky and i'm in...
L-O-V-E... love

Indiana

Good song. Nice job.

Which effect did you use for the tremelo guitar?
<><

Greeny

It's the 'SQR TR' (I think) - a really lovely sound. It's played on a Fender Tele, and the thickness of the strings may be playing a part in the overall feel - I use 12's, which give a lush / warm rhythm sound, but are impossible to bend properly for solo work. I use a lot of hammer ons and pull-offs though, and the 12's are perfect for that.

I've been exploring the guitar effects quite a lot, and so far it's 'AmbCrunc' and 'VO Comp' that give me the bright, percussive sounds I need for my tele. I'm enjoying 'Blues Dv' for my Les Paul though.

I've only had my BR for 2 weeks, so I'm still trying and testing various effect combinations.

Blooby

Perfect example of why I think the BR is so amazing.  That a well-done, fully realized song can be created on this "toy" never ceases to amaze me.

Very nice tune.

Blooby

hooper

Nice work, Tim.  You may be new to the M-BR but I can tell that you've been making music for a while.  Look forward to hearing more!
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Greeny

Thanks for the comments guys! I can already tell that the only limitation with the BR is going to be my own songwriting and musical ability - i.e. if you've got the ideas and the songs, the BR will certainly do them justice. It's a very smart piece of kit, and can only get better as I work my way through some of the advanced functionality.

You're right Hooper - I'm a bit of a 4-track veteran, but the BR p*sses all over my old Tascam pocketstudio. It feels like a real leap forward for me. I just need to make sure I move forward with it on new stuff rather than worrying about re-recording my entire back catalogue!

Mach

Nice tune and production. Sometimes over-elaborating is not always necessary. A musician I've always admired for his work once told me that keeping things simple is usually the best method for great results.

You have an excellent arrangement here that flows and kept my interest throughout the song. Great voice also. Good job!
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR