What are your musical pet peeves?

Started by Saijinn Maas, May 03, 2010, 02:06:04 AM

AndyR

Hmmm... tis sad reading that list Tony... I've mastered a good 75% of that, and I'm a "gifted amateur" on at least another 10%...

There's only one or two that I actively don't do...

Er... are all musicians like that, or is it just me? :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

Quote from: AndyR on May 05, 2010, 10:34:53 AMEr... are all musicians like that, or is it just me? :D

Quite a lot are, that's why being in a band is so hard! Much better to be sat in your home studio convinced of your own brilliance I find.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Hi I'm Geir and I'm a panhole !!!

I need to balance things out in the mix. For extreme panning I need to have something in the same frequency-range in both channels. If left/right takes differ too much I narrow the mix or fake-doubletrack the takes.

Lately I've also been a notorious NO-FX on vocal/acoustic recording. I may add FX later, but in 90% of the cases the raw recording sounds best!

Quote from: Blooby on May 05, 2010, 06:51:42 AMIt's no accident that most of my posts are from a live band.  We get together once every so often, cut loose for a night, and then it's back to the mines.  Pffft.  I'm sure most of us are in similar situations, so I guess I'm just whining.
Except, most iof us don't have the luxury of having a band  :(
QuoteOh, and my utter lack of discipline. .......
 I'm a first or second take person because I simply must move onto the next thing, much of the time, to the tune's detriment.
Now that sound very familiar.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

I Need to learn some more Freaking Chords!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gnasty

QuoteStep 1

Be completely preoccupied with yourself and your own problems and those around you will quickly alienate themselves from you.

Step 2

Listen to others conversations only long enough to find an opening so you can talk more about yourself. This will offend people and make them feel unappreciated.

Step 3

Take credit for the work of others. This may be the quickest way to alienate a coworker.

Step 4

Put other people down just so you can feel better about yourself and soon no one will care how you feel.

Step 5

Refuse to let anyone help you and then complain that no one cares about you. This leaves people feeling frustrated and confused.

Step 6

Borrow money from friends, family or coworkers and never pay it back.

Step 7

Deny having borrowed the money when you are asked to repay it. This is probably the second quickest way to alienate those around you.

Step 8

Put someone on hold for an extended period of time and then tell them you don't have time to talk. This will leave a clear impression that your needs are much more important than theirs.

Step 9

Have loud personal conversations on your cell phone in any public place.

Step 10

Leave lengthy messages on answering machines that go on so long that the machine cuts off before you leave your number.

Step 11

Forget to shower. Body odor can be very offensive.

Step 12

Make sure you are in control of everything no matter what it is. This is a great way to tell others you have no faith in their ability to do anything right.

Step 13

Exaggerate everything and become highly emotional about it. Drama becomes tiresome very quickly and soon people will avoid talking to you.

Step 14

Ask for advice and then tell the person how stupid it is. Rudeness is a surefire way to alienate people.

Step 15

Change the channel half-way through a movie your friends or family are watching and then leave the room. Being this inconsiderate of others will get you all the alone time you want.

Step 16

Be late to everything especially if you planned the meeting or event yourself.

Step 17

Promise to keep a secret and then tell everyone you see. People who can't trust you will stop talking to you.

Step 18

Sulk if you don't get your way. Pouting can be very irritating to others.

Step 19

Be possessive or overwhelmingly needy. Either one will alienate everyone around you.

Step 20

Repeated Threadjacking...... sorry I did it again.

Damn Tony!! I used to do ALL those steps. I turned into a nice guy! That`s what my problem is!

I`m going back to my old self right now! >:(
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Ted

• Having a wife who would leave me alone when I want to record, but me being too self-conscious to record vocals unless nobody is home.
  • Knowing I could record during the day (because I work from home), but worrying that if I ever did, my wife would do a surprise inspection.  "Ah ha!  I knew you just goofed off all day!"
  • Getting a great idea and capturing quickly it in the Micro BR's MP3 mode, only to realize the next day that I didn't select the right INPUT mode.  A silent MP3 and a forgotten inspiration.
  • Wondering whether people think I use too much reverb.
  • Wondering whether I should be less satisfied than I am with the Micro BR's drums.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

Quote from: Ted on May 06, 2010, 10:32:17 PM
  • Having a wife who would leave me alone when I want to record, but me being too self-conscious to record vocals unless nobody is home.
  • Knowing I could record during the day (because I work from home), but worrying that if I ever did, my wife would do a surprise inspection.  "Ah ha!  I knew you just goofed off all day!"
  • Getting a great idea and capturing quickly it in the Micro BR's MP3 mode, only to realize the next day that I didn't select the right INPUT mode.  A silent MP3 and a forgotten inspiration.
  • Wondering whether people think I use too much reverb.
  • Wondering whether I should be less satisfied than I am with the Micro BR's drums.

1. I'm the same, so do what I do. Go record your vox while sat in the car inside the garage so that no one can see or hear you screaming your lungs out. Or wander round lonely Norwegian towns at 1am in the morning singing like Geir does.
2. Same issue for me, so spend your down time during the day catching up on posts to give you more recording time in the evenings.
3. Been there, done that.
4. Henny thinks you use too much reverb, but then he thinks everyone uses too much reverb. Glad he never had to work as Roy Orbison's sound engineer.
5. Yes you should. But I am satisfied with your ability to create amazing drum tracks from such a cumbersome beast.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chapperz66

I regularly have terminal Red Light Fever.  I can play something brilliantly, perfectly and with sublime feeling - right up to the point when I hit the record button.  The red light comes on and a complete talent bypass materialises throughout my body. 

Or at least that's what I have convinced myself.

Paul

Kevin Mammoth

Not tuning before recording - I recorded a great bass track once and a then few days later noticed every fourth note sounded like a buffalo farting

Staying up late recording while wearing shorts, so that my legs freeze, like they are now.  See ya, pyjama time....
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

cuthbert

Quote from: chapperz66 on May 07, 2010, 05:47:11 AMI regularly have terminal Red Light Fever.  I can play something brilliantly, perfectly and with sublime feeling - right up to the point when I hit the record button.  The red light comes on and a complete talent bypass materialises throughout my body. 

Get a Micro BR - there's no red light, hence no red light fever!  ;D

But seriously, Paul - I know what you mean. As soon as I hit record, I'm automatically more prone to flubbing than when I'm not recording. And that leads to my musical pet peeve: retakes. :)

-cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase