What are your musical pet peeves?

Started by Saijinn Maas, May 03, 2010, 02:06:04 AM

Saijinn Maas

This isn't to harp on what you do not like about certain artists or anything. 

This is what things do YOU try to avoid or insist on doing, when writing or recording your own music. Anything odd, a little on the OCD side of things, or just plain weird?

I got two...

• I try to avoid double tracking guitars using the same chords. I usually try to find inversions, harmonies, or anything that sounds interesting that might compliment the rhythm.
  • And I hate rhyming a word with the same word. I did this by mistake in Creepy Little Alice I just realized recently. I rhymed the word "there" in the 2nd line, to the word "there" in the 4th line. Subsequently, I changed it for the acoustic version because it bothered me too much.

So, whatcha got?!

AndyR

I've got three particularly annoying ones right at the moment:

1) Discovering I've plagiarised or "rewritten" one of my own songs without realising it (especially if it was a song I was thinking of recording one day...)

2) Discovering I've recorded the thing too bluddy slow after I've already laid down a lot of tracks...

3) Getting the "arrangement" sorted before starting the recording (number of verses/choruses, bridges, etc...). I'm scared of cutting and pasting chunks of backing band - might give it a go soon to get over it...

The rhyming thing gets me too - but I tend not to commit to anything being finished until all the lyrics are fixed...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

henwrench

Reverb. Never liked it. Unless it's naturally occuring, like actually recording in a tiled room, or placing mics far away down a corridor.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i try not to think too much about what i'm doing so as not too inhibit myself. as a result i forget to note down what ive done played what settings i used etc, so when i try redo a song i find it almost impossible but i like doing things on the spur of the moment trying to get some spontaneity to what i do, so i try not to follow any rules as such but im sure i do subconsciously also i am a slave to a good rhyme  and tho i endeavour to make my lyrics make sense sometimes the rhyme becomes more important. that said when i collaborate with hooper he forces me to push the boundaries a bit on that and insists that the opening lines dont rhyme i dont always suceed but i do try.
but most important thing for me is to have fun with whatever it is im doing, i also like how a mistake can send you off at a different tangent and result in a not bad song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tony W

Quote from: henwrench on May 03, 2010, 05:21:24 AMReverb. Never liked it. Unless it's naturally occuring, like actually recording in a tiled room, or placing mics far away down a corridor.

henwrench

Can I safely assume most of your recordings are in a padded room in lieu of a tiled one?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

1. I'm having a tough time weaning myself off the lyric sheet. That's a pain in the ass.
2. I get lazy a lot and don't use A/B Punch in/out, which causes button clicks on the onboard mic tracks.
3. Sometimes I don't clean up my lyrics, and then look back later and think "That was stupid".
4. I'm a reverbtard. So I don't use it. But I'm with Henny, though. Fake reverb sucks.
5. MicroBR drums (Or all BR drums for that matter) - I hate them.
6. Not a big fan of plugged in acoustic guitar, so I record with a mic, but can never get it right.

Ahh, I feel better now...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

henwrench

Quote from: Tony W on May 03, 2010, 06:35:55 AM
Quote from: henwrench on May 03, 2010, 05:21:24 AMReverb. Never liked it. Unless it's naturally occuring, like actually recording in a tiled room, or placing mics far away down a corridor.

henwrench

Can I safely assume most of your recordings are in a padded room in lieu of a tiled one?

HA HA HA. Nice one Tony. How did you know.....?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

My musical pet peeve is the notion of "genre".

Tony W

One nice thing about doing this whole music thing for only a year, I have not developed any pet peeves. So far I'm guilty of everything mentioned already, but I don't mind. I'm glad I can write a lyric now without rhyming, because I dislike it, thanks Sai!

I generally want to avoid this type of thread, yet I'm drawn to them at the same time. I want to develop my own tastes, however knowing what bugs people is very important to understand.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

I have no peeves about muscial pets. I think they're great.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR