Punkfest: I Wanna Be Your Dog...cuthbert covers The Stooges

Started by cuthbert, May 02, 2010, 10:00:38 PM

cuthbert

i wanna be your dog
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Sorry for the so late submission - I didn't have a lot of free time for playing or recording last month.  :(

I had a few different ideas for Punkfest as April progressed, but decided I wanted to go with this proto-punk song by Iggy and the Stooges from 1969, produced by John Cale of the Velvet Underground. 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' is said to be one of the songs that helped to launch the punk rock movement and was a large influence for the Sex Pistols and many others, later. I never heard this song myself until a couple years ago...  ::)

I initially tried going for Iggy's style in the original, but the 'Iggy after he met Bowie' persona (aka Iguana) sneaked through.  ;) Music critics have credited the alienation and fetishistic themes of the lyrics as major components of the punk rock era, but in a recent interview with the late Ron Asheton (guitarist for the Stooges), he stated that the title was simply band-speak about sexy girls, e.g., "...that girl is so pretty, I wanna be her dog".  :D

So without further ado...

title: I Wanna Be Your Dog
instruments used: Fender Mustang Bass, Gibson SG-II, Guild D-25 acoustic, e-bow, crappy Yamaha keyboard for piano, MicroBR drums, oscillator, and Stylophone for 'freakout' solo.  

Thanks for listening,
cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tangled Wires

Great cover Cuth, your vocal really suits this song.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Oldrottenhead

great version cuthbert you never disappoint great to hear the stylophone at the fade out  i need to dig mine out.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Oh, man, I'm going to be playing this one all day! Those vocal overlays are awesome (Or whatever it is, sounds good). You sound a little like Lou Reed in places, too!

Love that thumping bass line and the keyboard background. Great fadeout tracks - It was a cool added touch.

Sweeeet!!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

Damn Cuth, this is straight quality. Awesome cover! I've said it before, when you do your thing, you do it right!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Bravo , cuth. Your posts are few and far between, but boy are they worth the wait. Top notch...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

MeanGreenLizard

Absolutely great!
You've matched the style perfectly!
Very diligently arranged!
Can blue men sing the whites?

Saijinn Maas

Awesome! As was said, you voice really does suit this. Great job!