still I don't understand how to make drum's track in micro BR

Started by perunko, April 30, 2010, 08:43:08 AM

henwrench

Drum programming on the BR is without doubt one of the hardest things to get your head around, but when it clicks in yer head and it makes sense, then it ain't so bad.... but yea, drums take old henwrench the longest time. I tend to play to a beat, then do the drums last... have fun...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

j.g.

Hi

Have a look at this link - it will give you the confidence to carry on trying  ;) :D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=aJG9Tol1a0U

He makes it look so easy.  ;D

Geoff

Blooby

Quote from: lubo perunko on May 02, 2010, 10:49:45 AM...now I know, how to do it, but it's not easy...and it takes more time, than main recording... :o

I generally record over a static beat.  I'll usually program the drums after the fact somewhere on (using the batteries).  I'll kill time at my girlfriend's, take it with me on a weekend, passenger seat of a car during a road trip, etc.

I have a pen and a pad. I'll jot down the presets for any patterns or fills I like.
The first time through, I'll generally have the verse and chorus patterns the way I want them.  For fills, I put in place holders (meaning I'll probably change them later).

Once you do it a few times, it can go rather quickly.  But those first few times suck.

Also, just so you don't make the same mistake several of us have (I include myself in there), you only have to program the beginning measure (of multiple measures using the same pattern).  Let's say you wanted  preset 100 for the first seven measures, you would not have program measures 2-7.  Just program measure 1 for preset 100, and then program measure eight with your new one.

I hope that made sense.

Blooby

Ted

This may seem a little contrarian: I love programming the Micro BR drums!

It's one of my favorite parts of creating a song on the Micro BR precisely because I can't make my own patterns.  It turns it into a creative challenge.  It's like cooking in someone else's kitchen.  You are forced to use ingredients that weren't in your original recipe--which can come out really interesting.

I record a rough take first, over a simple provisional beat.  Then I do the drums.  When I get the drums right, I record the rest of the tracks.

Playing along with a drum track that's not exactly what you had in mind really adds energy to your performance--almost like playing with a live drummer.

Persevere.  You'll get it.

Attached is my worksheet for mapping out rhythm arrangements.  There's more information on it here.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Rata-tat-tat

If I could figure out how to mic drums... which I may be getting some help from a great sound tech...To me... you could never replace a real drum; however, convenience would lean me towards looping with a pre recorded sample. The BR is very cumbersome for drum samples/// But how many drums can you carry in your pocket...or... how many drum machines for that matter. My wife is the only one that can carry me in her pocket... so I guess I'm not very portable. Just whipped.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Gnasty

QuoteMy wife is the only one that can carry me in her pocket... so I guess I'm not very portable. Just whipped.

Snap out of it Rat!! lol

The drums screwed me around too, hence i have a post on here with NOT SO MANY COMMENTS!..lol

The trick is to figure out the steps to measures. Know you can expand measures with every step. Then take Blooby`s advice and leave some room for your fills and very importantly... WRITE IT ALL DOWN.
Once you get that aspect ,it all comes to you and your pressing buttons like you invented the thing. And if you insert fills it brings your measures out of whack to what you programmed in the first place, so you need to write it down to make the necessary adjustments.

I hope thats helpful.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity