MP3 player suggestions??

Started by Vanncad, April 28, 2010, 04:03:06 PM

Vanncad

I need to get an MP3 player.

Any suggestions?

I can get an 8gb IPod for about $120 CDN, but I've also heard good things about Creative "Zune" players, and Sony "Walkmans".

I am assuming I can play any MP3's on an Ipod. Is this correct?
I don't download music, so it would be mostly for my own stuff (and some other Songcrafters tracks)

Any suggestions, pros or cons is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Gnasty

I`ve got a Sony that i use for the gym. I had an IPOD too. Really no difference to me. It works great for me. It`s all about the headphones too. You can buy the headphones with bass which are probably better for any mp3 player because you get more treble.
You can play any mp3`s.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

lg

I bought a cheapie from the dollar store, I think it was $20.....
It will hold like 600 songs. This is fine for me, But I really want
an Ipod, my boss has one and it will hold thousands!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Oldrottenhead

best for sound is a creative zen x-fi but they are fragile beasts i broke three in quick succession, the soundcard in a zen is equivelant to a high end denon hifi and makes the ipod sound like a gramaphone, i now have a dicky chinese £20 fake ipod was sold as 8gb but in reality only has 2gb some software trickery makes it look like 8gb when connected to your pc but put anything over 2gb on it and it doesnt work. that said i love it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

I've had a small handful of MP3 players, and they all serve me well, but the one thing I can state unquestionably is that I hate I-Tunes.  I can't say enough about this.  That programs is cumbersome, adds steps, isn't user-friendly, and on top of that...is poopie.  Yes, I said it...poopie.  And don't even get me started on Apple's proprietary format.  Pffftt!  I have a 30 gig IPod and and I-Phone and rarely swap music on them because of that damnable program.

I know there will those that say I'm overreacting, but how do you compare that piece of shitte with simply plugging in your MP3 player, having it show up as a drive, and dragging and dropping files or folders (including the odd Word file or three) to AND from your player?

My favorite is a 4 GB RCA that runs for 24 hours or so on a single AAA battery.  The only reason I prefer this one over a rechargeable is all the camping I do where plugging in isn't an option.

Blooby

Geir

i've had a fair amount of cheap mp3-players, non of them lasted long. The 4GB iPod nano have lasted for at least a couple of years and is still reliable (tho I think the battery has lost some of it's capacity). That said, I agree with Blooby on iTunes. And also the idea that you MUST use itunes to fill it with music. I would maybe buy it again if I couldnt find another brand that was as robust and userfriendly (yes the nano IS, iTunes not that much)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Gnasty

I absolutely hate Itunes and Windows media player. Screw them!! And geeks will argue with you on them. I just send my tunes straight to the mp3 players folder. Screw them programs!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tony W

I'm in blooby's camp with the itunes thing..... but I'm just starting to wield the power of the ipod touch. There are a shitload of apps that are fun, and great for the non-work work environment.

I use my ipod as a remote for music that I've jacked into my stereo at the cabin. I don't have to go switch those dreadful songs that somehow got on my favorite playlist, I can sit on my ass and change it from outside. Yeah, I'm lazy and vain, but I as much as I loathe Itunes, I like my Ipod.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Saijinn Maas

I have an Ipod Touch myself... and I totally agree with everyone regarding iTunes. Frickin sucks...

However... Now that I have learned how to separate my library into Playlists and stuff, it actually pretty easy. But at this point, I'd have a hard time getting rid of my Ipod Touch.

We got my daughter a Sony Walkman, and for just an MP3 player, it works pretty damn good. And it is super simple to download mp3s onto it. Kind of hard to beat its ease of use.

Ted

I got heavily invested in iTunes, and insanely involved smart playlists before I ever bought an iPod.  Apple totally hooked me, because I'd bought a few albums on the iTunes Store before I had a clue about DRM.  I'm now addicted, however my only regrets are philosophical (having been ensnared according to their diabolical plans).  I really like iTunes.  I've mastered it.

If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd probably go with a Creative Zen of some kind.*  What ORH has is top of the line.  My stepson has a mid-level model.  It's pretty good.  You'll get twice as much storage for your money than you would on an iPod.

The music manager that comes with the Zen family is pretty clunky, IMO.  (I totally prefer iTunes, but that won't work well with a Zen.)

So that's the other piece of the question: What music manager will you use?

Songbird looks promising, but they're only on version 2 something.  Since I'm an iTunes slave, I'm not much help there.

*Caveat: There's no music management software for the Zen family that will work on a Mac.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac