Mash Up!!!! Osckilo DAW and ORH ....Cover or Original?

Started by Tony W, April 26, 2010, 08:59:48 PM

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 26, 2010, 10:46:26 PMSo I don't think you have to actually play an instrument or sing to make a recording that you can be proud of. It isn't cheating as long as you're honest and open about what you did and didn't do.

Ah, that's what I wanted to say but couldn't quite come up with the words. I think a great job was done assembling the beats and samples.

I know it took you only a short period of time to do it, but believe it or not, some people would have a difficult time conceptualizing an arrangement like this. The only thing you should feel guilty about is that you feel guilty about being a great arranger of loops and samples.  :D

And, although I'm not really into the actual composition of midi/synth/whatever you call it arrangements, I do enjoy listening to that stuff. Well, some of it anyway - I though this was really good.

But the use of copywritten material is a different animal, and I think that's what threw me off last night - Just wasn't on the same page. Sorry about that, bro!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

After reading my first post in this thread, I feel like a rabble-rouser, but it certainly wasn't my intent. Most of the posts here are articulating exactly how I feel, but couldn't come up with the words, or was too lazy to develop a full comment which was clear.

A point that I'll accent upon is this:

QuoteI know it took you only a short period of time to do it, but believe it or not, some people would have a difficult time conceptualizing an arrangement like this.

My current limit is about 4 tracks deep. When I start adding tracks beyond that point, I'm no longer enhancing music, I'm starting to make it worse. You layered 60 tracks. If I tried that, it would be a audible wall of disgust.

Point being, some people's limitations exceed their ability (me). Osckilo's talents are apparently limitless, so embrace it, push the envelope and see what happens.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

Pure chocolate from Belgium is best...but a enjoy a Snickers every now and then.

Saijinn Maas

Although I do not see it as cheating, nor do I think someone who uses DAW to "make" music, is any less valid than traditional methods, I do have a thought about some of it.

I don't think you can lump everyone involved in the making of music with artistry. Production and Engineering may be vital for a recording, but they do not fall anywhere near being a musical artist. Though talented in their own right, they are no closer to being musical artists than the paint maker is to being a painter. Though their excellent and vibrant paints may help make an artists painting all it can be, it is not art in itself.

I think it is awesome what someone can do with DAW, and the ability to cut up and paste over and manipulate tracks the way some can is amazing. But to me, it is their skill with a program that is amazing, not their musical skill that carries them. It only really bothers me when I hear that some of these DJs refer to themselves as composers now.

AndyR

I ought to keep out of this one... I hear what you're saying Sai (It only really bothers me when I hear that some of these DJs refer to themselves as composers now) - it does me too, but...

Art is about taking stuff in and restating it with something of yourself in it, something original...

Now I've not heard the thing in question yet (I'm at work), but I suspect that I'll classify it as "art" when I do hear it.

We've moved into an age where "taking stuff in and restating it" will actually mean directly quoting, digitally...

When I write a song, on a guitar, I'm quoting other peoples chords, lyrical ideas, ideas from films, books, emotions from rhythms, melodies, etc... it's not enormously different to taking x layers of sound and creating something "other" from them...

... anyway, I said I ought to keep out (until I've actually heard it!) :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tony W

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on April 27, 2010, 11:27:07 AMBut to me, it is their skill with a program that is amazing, not their musical skill that carries them. It only really bothers me when I hear that some of these DJs refer to themselves as composers now.

Artistry comes in many flavors. I can shoot a basketball, but I'm not Lebron James. I can paint a ceiling, but I'm no Michelangelo. I can ride a bike with no handle bars, but I'm not The Flobots.

I want a snickers now.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

I been Wondering who did the Handlebars Tune for ages!!!!!

Thanks TW!!!!

Flobots....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Saijinn Maas

But would that MAKE you a basketball player for shooting that ball, or an artist for painting that ceiling, or a circus performer for riding that bike with no handlebars?

I guess all that really matters is if you are expressing yourself. And if this lets you express yourself in the manner you feel is appropriate, who am I to judge? I just stick to listening to those that do it, and if it sounds good, it sounds good.

Tony W

I was hoping that would be a "WTF did Tony W just say" post. Looks like I'm not the only one who listens to this kind of stuff!

Sai >

QuoteI guess all that really matters is if you are expressing yourself. And if this lets you express yourself in the manner you feel is appropriate

That's it! That's the coolest statement right there. You know I started playing music a year ago this month. The level at which I can express myself is limited at best, but I'm doing it. I'm happy about it, and I'll continue to become more expressive as time and experience permits. I'll never make millions, I have no aspiration to, but I will be fulfilled, and that's what it's all about.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy