Mash Up!!!! Osckilo DAW and ORH ....Cover or Original?

Started by Tony W, April 26, 2010, 08:59:48 PM

Tony W

**EDIT 2**

For those of you joining in, This started out as a separate thread completely, but was split into 2 topics. My post was a continuation of a conversation that we (osckilo, launched, and myself) were having via Skype.

This is what started the conversation
/EDIT

First off, I'm going to start off by saying the song is pleasing to the ears. I enjoyed the listen.

I have a significant investment into my musical arsenal now. I'm a guy who is going to sit in my basement for quite a few years (hopefully) and make music. I'm not going to be learning every instrument that I want in my productions, and I damn sure ain't buying everything I want. If I have to shortcut to make the music in my head come out as an MP3...... why not rule out MP3's while we are at it?.... anyway.

If I can enhance my music without hiring an orchestra, symphony, etc.... I'm going to go ahead and do so.

EDIT

Now, as a rule, and you know this T, I don't punch in, I don't fix files, what's done when I'm done is what you get. I have worked very hard to not suck, and I'm glad I put in all the effort. Anything worth doing is worth the effort.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Should I Feel Bad for Using A DAW?

Bro....

I sat by a Computer and Programmed everything in......

I could have played it.... (Excluding Drums).....

But Didn't......

Seems Lazy...

JIM Is STILL GREAT ON THIS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tony W

How you feel about it is on you. That goes for everyone else too. If you don't feel right about it, don't do it, just don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. Diversity, it's what makes all unique, just like everyone else.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

I think you are both a bunch of hens cackling about nothing...  ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

I Just Heard what Alfredo and Flash did with the track.....

Time:
0:00
Volume:

I feel soo much better now.....

I Thought I was Cheating by not playing and Just Arranging Notes.....

This DAW stuff is original...

Clean and Cool....

TW owen and mark are right....

I Like it....

A New OsCKilO is on the way....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

There are several important aspects of every recording - Conception, Composition, Arrangement, Performance, Recording, and Production. You don't have to do all of these yourself to create an artistic work that you can be proud of. Most professional recording artists don't do their own recording and production. They go into a studio and let the professionals do it. And many recordings by highly-respected artists are of songs that someone else composed for them, or they include performances by studio musicians. So, if you create a recording using loops that were performed by someone else, there's no reason to be ashamed of it. Sure, the performance isn't you, but that's only one aspect of the complete work. You still conceived the song and arranged it yourself which is very much a form of art and includes some degree of composition as well. And you did the recording and production yourself. Recording may be more science than art but production is very much an art.

So I don't think you have to actually play an instrument or sing to make a recording that you can be proud of. It isn't cheating as long as you're honest and open about what you did and didn't do.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

I'm confused - I think I missed something.....

But I guess this is about "remixing" tracks, right? I assume what T did was to loop/cut up ORH's Biko and add some sounds/effects in a DAW, right? Is this "cheating"? Not in my book, provided correct attribution is given to the original artist's work, and they get a cut of the royalties if it is ever sold commercially (I'm talking the "big picture" here, not this particular track of course!). Is it as artistically "valid" as a fully original work? Not in my book, but it is still a real artistic statement and sometimes this kind of approach can create something genuinely interesting and moving (and even rekindle interest in the orginal artist's work).

So I'm agreeing with 64G here. And we could get into a long discussion about is a classical symphony more "valid" than a 12 bar blues or a three chord punk song, as after all one takes a lot more skill, training and time to produce than the other. For me personally, it's not about the complexity of the inputs but the quality of the output, regardless of musical style. I used to be rather "precious" about musical complexity when I was into prog rock in the 70s but when punk happened that changed my perspective completely.

So I have no objection to computer-based remixes/enhancements, although I guess I would say it's harder in that medium to create something truly original (but it can be done).

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

For me comes down to a personal choice about how you want to make music. I've never limited what genre or medium I've written songs in, and did quite a lot of techno tracks via computer in the mid-90's. It was fun and different, but in the end, I felt like I was cheating myself - i.e. that a lot of other people could come up with the same combinations of beats and sounds, so I wasn't really doing anything original. That was just my own feelings though, and I've never looked down on people who use technology for making music.

To me, using computers and cutting out anything being actually 'played' is like doing an abstract painting. Sure... anyone can splash some paint around, but there is still an original piece of art being created everytime. However, I always feel happier about abstract artists when I know that they have some real technical ability / skill in the background, and that the abstract work is just an extension or progression for them.

Tharek has stood in pubs with just a guitar and PERFORMED. He has written all sorts of beautiful music and plays guitar with real skill and passion. So as far as I'm concerned, that makes his personal choice to try something different totally justified. No matter what he wants to try, he has well and truly earned it. Nobody will respect him less for using DAW!

I'm just rambling now, lol

Oldrottenhead

i wasnt expecting to see any of this stuff on here lol. tharek sent me the stuff he did on owens pc, to see if i could add a lyric, i was stumped but had read the mash up thread, so basically i thought mmmmmmmmmmmm. so i dragged thareks track faker into cubase sx. then dragged a bare bones version of biko into the mix.

then i did the same again with my own song dance with me, which featured alfredo on trumpet and flash on drums via a kaossilator.
so basically i was just pissing about lol as an experiment, lager was involved in the mix.
i then sent to tharek and went to bed.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann