Songs that make grown men cry

Started by Gritter, April 19, 2010, 05:19:31 PM

Ted

Am I the only one who finds this whole topic rather intimidating?

I've posted one or two songs here, but I haven't really listened to many of the songs posted by others.  I keep telling myself that I will--once I have a quiet hour when nobody else is home, and I won't mind being split wide open with emotion.  I just can't bring myself to make time for that--or even the time to listen to one or two.

I definitely appreciate a well-written song that can reach in and touch a tender spot, however I think I prefer to be caught by surprise rather than seek out that kind of grief.

The fact that there are so few follow-up comments to any of the songs leads me to think that I'm not the only one.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

Quote from: Ted on May 21, 2010, 11:45:42 AMAm I the only one who finds this whole topic rather intimidating?

I've posted one or two songs here, but I haven't really listened to many of the songs posted by others.  I keep telling myself that I will--once I have a quiet hour when nobody else is home, and I won't mind being split wide open with emotion.  I just can't bring myself to make time for that--or even the time to listen to one or two.

I definitely appreciate a well-written song that can reach in and touch a tender spot, however I think I prefer to be caught by surprise rather than seek out that kind of grief.

The fact that there are so few follow-up comments to any of the songs leads me to think that I'm not the only one.

I think it's such a personal thing. There are certain songs that only have a particular meaning to a particular person. Songs are very evocative things - I can measure my life by the songs that were playing at specific times and events, and they're almost like time machines in their ability to take you back there.

Perhaps people are a little uncomfortable 'prying' on other people's emotions in this thread. It feels as if some of the songs have a very private resonance.

IanR

People, there's really only one weepy song to listen to.   I couldn't find the video but here are the lyrics.   Its from the best album ever made.

I'll wear it proudly - Elvis Costello

I hate these flaming curtains they're not the color of your hair
I hate these striplights they're not so undoing as your stare
I hate the buttons on your shirt when all I wanna do is tear
I hate this bloody big bed of mine when you're not here

Well I finally found someone to turn me upside down
And nail my feet up where my head should be
If they had a King of Fools then I could wear that crown
And you can all die laughing because I'll wear it proudly

Well you seem to be shivering dear and the room is awfully warm
In the white and scarlet billows that subside beyond the storm
You have this expression dear no words could take its place
And I wear it like a badge that you put all over my face

I'll wear it proudly through the dives and the dancehalls
If you'll wear it proudly through the snakepits and catcalls
Like a fifteen year old kid wears a vampire kiss
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed

We are arms and legs wrapped round more than my memory tonight
When the bell rang out and the air outside turned blue from fright
But in shameless moments you made more of me than just a mess
And a handful of eagerness says "What do you suggest?"

From the album King Of America

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

Quote from: IanR on May 24, 2010, 05:01:09 AMPeople, there's really only one weepy song to listen to.   I couldn't find the video but here are the lyrics.   Its from the best album ever made.

I'll wear it proudly - Elvis Costello

Greeny must be right.  I've listened to 'I'll Wear It Proudly' dozens of times, and King of America is one of my favorite Costello albums, but the song has never made me weepy in the least.  Yet, 'Still Too Soon To Know' (from the album Brutal Youth) is still like a punch in the gut every time I hear it--although the force of the punch has gotten much, much softer over the years.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

"if i could" by geir.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7472.msg97201#msg97201

if you can listen to this song and not be moved you are not a human being.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 25, 2010, 05:56:48 PM"if i could" by geir.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7472.msg97201#msg97201

if you can listen to this song and not be moved you are not a human being.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

I agree.... :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gritter

One Thing by Gumbo.

Beautiful melancholy. In my mind I could here this being sung by Daniel Johnston.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

chip withrow

I've been having fun (not crying a bit!) checking out some of these tunes. I got through the wonderful Gumbo and Geir acoustic songs, the soulful Luther song, the trippy Chris Bell (never heard of the guy although I knew about Big Star), the Kirsty MacColl (hadn't thought about her in years - great song) and the Tragically Hip (which sounded like country Stones and Black Crowes, two favorites).
I was searching for a good concert version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr7hMXBRqCE

... when my daughter came in and asked to see Katy Perry's "Firework." Not going to post it, but I found a pretty amazing live version from the Letterman show.
As for the Grateful Dead song, it's "Days Between," one of the last Garcia/Hunter compositions. The lyrics by Hunter are brilliantly nostalgic, and Garcia's vocal is rough (as usual) but so expressive. The guitar is soul-piercing. Gives me chills, makes me miss ol' Jer.

peterp

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"