problem posting songs...

Started by Kevin Mammoth, April 18, 2010, 06:00:13 AM

Kevin Mammoth

Hello all, I'm really showing my newbie status here.  I have developed a sad case of "second song" syndrome.  I posted my first song on this site successfully, but am having a hell of a time with song 2.  I have tried @ 10 times over the past three days, and each time I try it loads forever and then times out, returning me to the homepage. 

As best I can remember I'm doing everything exactly the same as the first time - posting via the "post original songs" link - and the file is an MP3 within the size limit.  Am I missing something bleedingly obvious?  Sorry for whining - but any help would be appreciated.
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Flash Harry

Hello Kevin.

Your MP3 has to be under 6MB, 64guitars puts it clearly here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7027.msg86770;topicseen#new

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 17, 2010, 10:10:43 AMWe've increased the upload limit from 5MB to 6MB (thanks Mike!). The exact limit is now 6,292 KB (decimal), which is 6,292,000 bytes. Windows reports file sizes rounded to the nearest binary megabyte or kilobyte. So, when Windows says a file is 6.0 MB, the actual size is about 6,291,456 bytes (depending on whether it rounded the actual size up or down), which is just below our limit.

We should now be able to upload most 3 or 4 minute songs at 192kbps. Longer songs may have to be reduced to 160kbps or even 128 kbps.

We'll be keeping an eye on the total size of our attachments folder (currently 12GB). If it gets too big, we may have to reduce the upload limit. I think we can avoid that if some of the frequent posters move some of their files offsite (weebly.com, fileden, etc.) and link to those files with the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags instead. It's not compulsory, but it would help to slow the growth of our attachments folder so that other members can continue to upload their files here and, hopefully, we won't have to reduce the upload limit.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kevin Mammoth

Hi Flash Harry - no problem with the file size, it is only 3.9MB - thanks anyway
recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

I can't think of anything you could be doing wrong that would account for the timeout. Since no one else has mentioned this problem, I'm guessing that there's a communication problem with your computer or ISP that's affecting your uploads. If you like, you can email the file to me (admin@songcrafters.org) and I'll upload it to the site for you.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Kevin Mammoth

Thanks 64Guitars, I expect the problem is my no-name ISP, I am currently researching new broadband plans, what a blast that is.  And what a drag sitting on the reserve bench after only one song, while everyone else is whooping it up - sob...
recorder
Boss BR-1600