Grow Old with Me (Original ?? Cover???)

Started by j.g., April 15, 2010, 02:11:49 PM

j.g.

Grow Old with Me
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I have a problem and hope I can get some advise. Last night I went into the Backing Track Jam section by mistake. I tried a couple of songs and thought they were very good. On in particular I played a few times, it was "Grow Old with Me" played superbly by Speed Demon. I went onto it again about an hour ago and thought I would like to do some lyrics over the top. I realised that it is one of the last songs written by John Lennon, but I have never heard it by him or anyone else. To give a basis to work out some lyrics, I made some up on the fly and recorded them. I am posting this version here, remember I was making it up as I went along and was not fully conversant with the song.
I would like to know, once I have written some proper lyrics which section would it go under, covers or originals or in the Backing tracks.
This quick taster is to show you how far away from the original it is (as I haven't heard it).
When I have got some indication where to post it I will remove it. I am a relative newbie on here and don't know a lot of the protocol for some of these things. From what I have seen the Backing Tracks section does not get many visitors so it would take longer to get an answer.
Thank you for any help you can give me. 

lg

I am sorry that I can't answer your question....But I don't know.
Perhaps 64 can straighten this out.
But I just had to comment on this as I was listening.....
This is a lovely piece and well sung!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

SE

recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: j.g. on April 15, 2010, 02:11:49 PMLast night I went into the Backing Track Jam section by mistake. I tried a couple of songs and thought they were very good. On in particular I played a few times, it was "Grow Old with Me" played superbly by Speed Demon.

If Speed Demon is actually playing all the parts of the songs he's posting, then they should be in Collaborations rather than Backing Track Jams. The Backing Track Jams board is for recordings that contain parts played by non-members. Typically, these are professional recordings which people download from various backing track sites and sing or play guitar over top of them. Or they could be from midi files used in the same way. If you perform and record all of the parts yourself and you want other members to add vocals, guitar, or whatever, then you should post your recording in the Collaborations board and invite other members to add to it. Finished collaborations can then be posted in Covers or Originals, depending on who wrote the song.

QuoteI would like to know, once I have written some proper lyrics which section would it go under, covers or originals or in the Backing tracks.

That's a good question. Normally, when you record your own version of a song which was written by someone else, you'd put it in Covers. However, if you completely change the lyrics to your own then it's no longer a cover but it's not an original either. I would classify it as a derivative work. Since we don't have a separate board for derivative works and this probably won't happen often, you can post your finished song in either Covers or Originals. That's assuming, of course, that Speed Demon actually played everything in his post. He only said "This is a backing track consisting of piano and bass." So it's not clear to me whether he played the piano and bass himself or this backing track was performed and recorded by someone else and he downloaded it from some web site. I wish people would provide more information with their posts.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

I'm a fan of writing new lyrics for existing music, and writing new music for existing lyrics.

This is well done.  One comment: The vocals are a bit loud in the mix.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

antisocialworker

great post, regardless of whether or not its an original
I think this is an excellent song
well done

Redler

This sounds really good and peaceful in my ears. Well performed on each level, SD and Geoff! Good to start a new day with this...

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

j.g.

Thank you for the great comments. It is all down to the superb track by Speed Demon.
64 Guitars - Thank you for your very comprehensive reply, when I hear from S D further details I will know where to post it. At least it has been explained very clearly and may help others as well.
I was guided by someone on to YouTube and found John Lennon's original and also a copy by Mary Chapin Carpenter, and my version is totally different. I even think the track by S D does sound different as well.
I have to leave this on here for a short while longer for S D to hear and approve or disapprove. I have sent him a p m for him to locate it here.
I know this mix isn't perfect for balance, tones nor the words, but I was making them up as I went along, and recording it just to give me a basis to work from.

djbride

Sweet song, Nice job on the lyrics and vox, they really fit the music. Nice work on this one.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1049425

"Rock is dead they say, Long Live Rock, be it dead or alive"    P. Townsend

64Guitars

Quote from: j.g. on April 16, 2010, 01:16:23 AMThank you for the great comments. It is all down to the superb track by Speed Demon.
64 Guitars - Thank you for your very comprehensive reply, when I hear from S D further details I will know where to post it. At least it has been explained very clearly and may help others as well.

Update:

I just discovered a March 25th email from Speed Demon in response to my query about the origin of this backing track. I was unaware of the email until this morning because it was sent to admin@songcrafters.org which is supposed to be forwarded to my personal email but, unfortunately, that hasn't been working.

Speed Demon said that his post of "Grow Old With Me" is a prerecorded backing track and he did not play on it. Therefore, your finished song should be posted in Backing Track Jams - not Covers or Originals as I'd previously said. Sorry for the confusion.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website