guitar neck position markings wrong????

Started by hardlock, April 12, 2010, 11:21:04 PM

hardlock

Maybe a pro guitarist can explain this to me.  

I just can't figure out why the neck markings are where they are.  It all makes sense starting at the nut moving up with G, A, & B but then C# ???? WTF?

It should have C & D marked instead then the F above high E.  That way the missing half note locations would be obvious.  I don't get it.

Actually, I play by ear and never noticed this before but am now exploring different sections of the neck and couldn't believe this layout for the marks when I discovered it.

Can anyone explain the logic (or lack of)? ???

Thanks!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Migs

From 10million years ago doing musicianship at school, it has to do with modes.  You are probably used to the thinking in terms of the a major scale mode which is Tone - Tone - semitone - Tone - Tone - Tone - semitone ... or all the white keys for a Cmaj scale.

I just thought on guitars it was a symetry thing around the double dots at the 12th fret or octave.  I think one of my guitars used to have one dot/inlay in a different place which gave you a pentatonic scale.

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Farmjazz

Mandolins have that position marker on the tenth fret. It took me a little while to get used to it after playing guitar for so many years.

Migs

Quote from: Farmjazz on April 13, 2010, 08:33:37 AMMandolins have that position marker on the tenth fret. It took me a little while to get used to it after playing guitar for so many years.

That's sounds like where my first accoustic had it's dot. Shifted from 9 to 10.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

OsCKilO

My Classical Doesn't have dots......

F*cked me right up for a Long time.....

Then I got over it by Trying to Remember the feel of each postition......
(Muscle Memory I think it is called.....)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Gritter

Quote from: OsCKilO on April 14, 2010, 11:26:57 AMMy Classical Doesn't have dots......

...but doesn't your classical have dots on the upper edge of the neck?

OsCKilO

Quote from: Gritter on April 14, 2010, 11:48:14 AM
Quote from: OsCKilO on April 14, 2010, 11:26:57 AMMy Classical Doesn't have dots......

...but doesn't your classical have dots om the upper edge of the neck?

None.....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tony W

I bought a 12 string because I couldn't find a single classical with dots. Why is that?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Tony W on April 14, 2010, 01:22:53 PMI bought a 12 string because I couldn't find a single classical with dots. Why is that?

Classical players are snobs.  They think dots are for losers.  Right, Tharek?

Seriously, here's a little illumination on the subject:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inlay_(guitar)#SchemesSchemes
On guitars, there are two popular fretboard inlay schemes:
  • The most popular (1) involves single inlays on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, double inlays on the 12th, single inlays on the 15th, 17th, 19th, and 21st, and if present, double inlays on the 24th. Advantages of such scheme include its symmetry about the 12th fret and symmetry of every half (0-12 and 12-24) about the 7th and 19th frets. However, playing these frets, for example, on the E string would yield the notes E, G, A, B, C# that barely make a complete musical mode by themselves.
  • A less popular scheme (2) involves inlays on 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 22nd and 24th frets. Playing these frets on the E string yields the notes E, G, A, B, D that fit perfectly into the E minor pentatonic scale. Such a scheme is very close to the coloring of a piano's keys and is of some use on classical guitars.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

Quote from: Gritter on April 14, 2010, 11:48:14 AM...but doesn't your classical have dots on the upper edge of the neck?

I painted them out while he wasn't looking..........

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR