"punkfest" Sometimes My Insides Want Out

Started by antisocialworker, April 12, 2010, 09:17:22 PM

Gritter

This rocks and is really well put together...I like all your stuff...You got style - heavy but also fun and melodic. I wouldn't worry about the songs sounding the same. I think inspiration will come to you organically my friend.

Great track!

Ted

Quote from: antisocialworker on April 13, 2010, 02:19:39 PMbut is it just me or do all my songs sound the same?

No friggin' way!  There's a consistency to them--like a band with a distinct voice.  But not tiresome at all.

I loved the lead on this.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

I agree with Ted and the Sandman. Just do what you feel - You force it and it won't sound as good as the cool shit you put out.

Freakin' sweeeeeet!!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

AndyR

I agree - you're getting consistency but I'm not feeling like you're repeating yourself.

Regard it as a GOOD thing that you feel it, though. Experiment a bit, but DO NOT beat yourself up when another goodie comes out that seems to use the same "formula" as far as you're concerned. Experiment on the side and it will gradually start changing the length and breadth of your own personal "formula". But it's all good, grab and use whatever comes out.

BTW - played this one to my missus (I walked into the kitchen with it in headphones on my MBR, I was jiggin around a bit, she wanted to know what I thought I was doing :D)... she LOVED it :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

antisocialworker

thanks for the imput andy
thats great advice.
I noticed most of my work sounds the same when I recorded this, and I tried a little bit to spice it up and stray from my "formula"
especially the solo, which im not happy with at all, my brain knows what notes I want to play but my fingers cant seem to find them, I think Ill stick to slow solos until I get the hang of it first.
anyways glad you and your mrs. liked it :)
wish mine did lol
all the encouragement I get is "turn it down" or the famous "shut the fuck up"

Kevin Mammoth

Hey ASW, this is the second blazing riff-fest I've heard from you, it really rocks - with a good ear for melody too.  The solo works  - comes in with a snarl and grabs your ears. 

With tunes like this I wouldn't get too hung up about your sound - maybe try something new if you're feeling a bit stale, or even focus on parts of your technique you're not happy with if you want to open some new musical doors - just have fun doing it and you never know where it might lead.

But like I said, this is a great tune, just crying out for some killer lyrics

recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Kevin Mammoth

actually, regarding soloing, I'll try and go one better than my garbled new age schtick - I recommend "DVD Guitar Shred", published by Hal Leonard - featuring the ubiquitous Troy Stetina or whatever his name is.  The basic gist of it is to always practice soloing with a metronome - but it has some cool exercises in it that I have found to be really good.  It is the one guitar technique dvd/book I have not thrown on a pile and forgotten about. 
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

antisocialworker

cool thanks kevin i'm gonna seach for it now.

Ferryman

ASW, I really liked this and the solo sounds pretty darn good to me, remember this is punk, not prog rock! More than four notes and you are showing off! I love the structure of this and the drop out at the end. Excellent stuff, I say turn it up.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

j.g.

As Greeny says needs some vocals to make this a real killer track. I haven't noticed any repetition in your posts, keep it up is what I say.
Lets hope you don't find a band with the name of your song title (as in My Ex Stacy)