Sleeping With The Ghost - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, April 08, 2010, 12:57:03 PM

scottieD

Yeah I have to go with Satch...perfect for a musical...lovely song, so well performed and played.  Beautiful.

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

AndyR

:)

The mic is a Rodes NT1000.

The lead vocal was done in what I'd usually regard as the "proper" way - standing up, imagining I'm someone important :D

But all of the backing vocals were done in a far more relaxed manner - sat on the sofa, BR1600 off to the left, mic stand and pop shield lowered down to me.

I found that a lot easier - apart from the odd run to figure the parts, every single voice (and there are LOTS) is first take. I also got a lot closer to the mic than I often do.

I was able to get a rough mix on one of the stereo pairs, set markers for the part of the song I wanted to do, clear 8 mono tracks ready and then a) arm track, b) go to the marker, c) hit record and sing, d) stop, e) disarm track and arm next one, f) go back to marker, g) hit record and sing... etc, etc... .... all without moving my head too much!

After doing this one... I tried doing the lead vocal for the next one (The Knife) like this, sat down on the sofa, working the mic for effect - I think I might be doing it that way quite often now!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

chapperz66

I'm not often a "bumper," Andy, but I love this song and often have to hunt back to find the link.  I though I'd make it easy for myself to find andalso give some of the newer people on the site to hear a personal fave of mine.

Paul

Tangled Wires

Catching up a bit here, and am I glad I found this one...what a song!

This is simply a stunning song and having listened to some of your "rockier" songs in the past, this makes such a good contrast and your vocal and the harmonies are out of this world.

As others have said, the production is just flawless, it is studio quality.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I missed this the first time round, I must thank Chappers and AndrewH for bumping it a bit.

I love this track, everyone has said what I wanted to say about the crafting, recording and production of  the song. Jaw dropping is the right phrase Andy, It's certainly jaw dropping.

Fantastic track. I will keep this forever.

Thanks
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Thanks guys! :)

I'm fiddling with rock stuff at the moment, and getting bogged down in drum parts... I'm quite tempted to go back to recording some more of these instead.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Not quite sure how I missed this one, so glad I caught up. Mega song which has left me pleasantly melancholic. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Frank53

What a wonderfully written song, Andy. An intriguing story, very well told. Excellent playing and singing, as well. Just excellent!

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

pjd1

First class composition and vocals !!! your,e recording is excellent and very well produced .

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

SwanSong

Andy
VERY well executed. song. and great original great title.
and wonderful vox. guitar. very haunting but charming
loved it . TC NEIL.......................................????????