"Cool" by Krasi :)

Started by Krasi, April 05, 2010, 05:24:35 PM

Gritter

Wow Krasi! This is awesome...like everthing that was good about the 80's whipped up into a smoothie! Your singing style reminds me of Robert Smith...in the best way. In fact the song has a real Cure feel to it in a totally fresh totally satisfying way. I love your vocal performanr and the melody!

Ferryman

Great sound and great song, definitely agree with Sandy that it's a bit Cure-ish. Re the vocals, try using the "ForNylon" effect, this is a great default effect for vocals (even though it;s intended for nylon-string acoustic). You definitely need to get them cutting through a bit more as this song really has potential.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

DanSpec

Nice well written song - as others have mentioned the mix needs a little fine tuning. But other than that I would be proud of this one!

OsCKilO

Damn Bro!!!!!!

This is Killer!!!!!!!

Superb Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Voice is Amazing!!!!

With vocals, why not put them on two tracks...
Panning them around helps them cut through the mix....
And puting a little delay on one of them will Thicken them up as well....

This is Amazing Though!!!!

Peace

T(OsCKilO)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

AndyR

I've been busy recording my latest one, so I'm in catching up mode now...

I really like this - lovely arrangement, groove, melody, everything.

I hear what folks are saying about the vocals, but actually, for me, it just about works - a little more clarity in the vocals would be good, but they're there at the right volume for the track.

I think the guitar slightly off to the left is what's "masking" them - but if you turn it down, or pan it much further, I guess the whole track loses its attack? (If you haven't tried lowering it a spot, give it a go, but I think the overall feel might suffer...)

There is stuff you can do though - what you need to try is this on the lead vocal http://www.recordinginstitute.com/R2KREQ/excomp.htm. I've just reread it and discovered I got it round the wrong way this morning, which was why I was fighting with TOO MUCH clarity on the vocals when I was mastering the final mix in the afternoon!!  :o :D

Summary of technique:

1. Get a finished lead vocal
2. Copy this as two identical versions on different tracks
3. Leave one with no eq changes, apply your chosen reverb to this (Vocal A)
4. Compress the the cr@p out of the other one, 1:INF, and boost the top end (Vocal B)
5. Put Vocal A in the mix at the "right" level
6. Bring Vocal B up to add a "presence" - you choose how much or not

(I messed up on mine, and put the reverb on the compressed one!! :D)

Thing is though, I'm not sure whether this works with a vocal that has other effects like chorus on it... I would have thought it would... just make sure you've got the "finished" vocal track with effects and all before you start step 2.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Krasi

Thanks again for the coments.
Wow, Andy, I didnt have a clue you can do soo much to enhance vocals.
It seems there are great tricks out there to apply and make it sound better. Im a newbie though so some of the things you say Im not 100% sure how to do exactly but I got the idea.
Thanks again for the tips, I will definetely start experimenting more. There is soo much to be learnt and Im feeling this is a great place with fantastic musicians. Thanks again.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Geir

Quote from: AndyR on April 08, 2010, 04:09:44 PM..... < a whole lot of brilliant advice that I've used with good result some times> ...

Another thing I've tried is instead of compression, I've used a modded guitarFX. The basic idea is to use the AMP-sim as a compressor. The CRUNCH amp I've used a couple of times on rougher vox where the vox varied too much in volume on the recording. On the tribute-cover of "Saturday night" I used it to a level that it distorts slightly on some parts, but it did even out the vox and gave a cool, although barely audible, effect.

Of course, using a hotter amp, you can get a really rough vox !!  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Just listened to this again, it's a killer! Really infectious, I love those string scrapes and the bass playing.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SE

Great tune loved it, hope to hear more.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Bluesberry

What a great song.  This is great.  I like the arrangement very much, great recording here, great song.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand