"Phreezing Monkees" Original

Started by Geir, April 03, 2010, 08:01:13 AM

Geir

Thank you for all your kind comments dear friends !! It's good to finally writing some new stuff again.

I wish I did have more time to write/record but at least it's fun when I get a few hours :D :D :D

This was recorded at my cabin, and I did only have aca's first 3/4 squire strat with 5 year old strings on it (yeah I know 'bout time to change them ... only the guitar is hardly played by anyone anymore, but was luckily left in the car a while ago so I had it when the inspiration came). I had the new Ibanez bass tho .. and the Morgan acoustic.
Quote from: des0free on April 03, 2010, 09:00:51 PMThe drums seem to pan back and forth in the stereo field, which patch is that?
The drums .... was fun, and is actually two patches ... well .... the panning drums is an INtro-patch that only consists of cymbals (can't remember which) and the other patches are mainly Fills (F1 and F2) and END-patterns. I think I only used a Verse-pattern for one or two measures. The main tempo is 70bpm I think but the short breaks/bridges are 140bpm for 2 measures.
The deal wit the panning cymbals is that I bounced one measure of that pattern to one track. Copied that measure 99x on the same track. Then I modded a guitarpatch with panning, sent the drumpattern through that effect (using LOCation 1&2 on the effect in bounce-mode).  When I had recorded all the other tracks and mixed then I added this drumtrack to the final mix.

Quote from: AndyR on April 04, 2010, 04:56:56 PM1. Wasn't expecting something like this from you!

2. I don't really understand funk

3. a) There's some hairy guitar playing in here. b) And that bass sound is HUGE :D
1. Neither was I
2. Neither do I
3. a) I'm a hairy guy b) Thank you :D

Quote from: Gary F on April 03, 2010, 02:48:30 PM1. But not what I expected with a title like that !!
2. I would love to hear something from you when you have a lot of time to put into it instead of just one evening!!!
1. What did you expect ? ;D
2. So would I !!!!!
Quote from: Gnasty on April 03, 2010, 12:04:20 PM1. There is some serious changes and vocals and the rhythm is outstanding!
2. Keep phreezing them monkeys!! :D
1. Thank you .. it was quite fun .. tho a bit of work :)
2. I will !! :D

Quote from: Ferryman on April 05, 2010, 02:41:33 AM1. Very nice noodle, very cooool groove and great playing.
2. You are really prolific these days and the standard of your material is consistently fantastiic! How do you do it?
1. Thank you Nigel!!
2. If I knew I'd make an album !! Seriously, it doesn't feel that way when I'm working with them. But I'm really thankful for the last fests that has made it possible for me to continue to make music even tho it's been a while since my last original stuff.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Krasi

So original!!! The vocals could not be sung better and what a solo at the end...
The bass line is amazing too. Simply perfect.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Satchwood

Kind of a funky Floydish vibe with a twist of Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush ~ great stuff Geir ~ very original & unique!  Just plain COOL...........,,,,,,,,,,,,..........,,,,,,,,,........
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

djbride

You got a nice funky groove going on this. Great guitar work, nice job on production and mixing. Funk or punk its all cool and they do rythme.  :)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1049425

"Rock is dead they say, Long Live Rock, be it dead or alive"    P. Townsend

T.C. Elliott

I got the Zappa feel after I read it. But the solo is more down my alley (not that I don't like Zappa.) This is cool. I like the smoothness but I also like the bits you put in there that keep it from being to monotonous. It keeps it interesting.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Nelson

Sounds like the doors rocking some Funk. Klass sick tune, my friend. Geir, you are one hell of a musician. This song has a real old school rock feel to it.

Somebody throw the monkey a blanket!!! >:(

-Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Rata-tat-tat

Nice one Geir... way to noodle out another classic.

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

des0free

Quote from: Geir on April 05, 2010, 03:57:50 PM
Quote from: des0free on April 03, 2010, 09:00:51 PMThe drums seem to pan back and forth in the stereo field, which patch is that?
The drums .... was fun, and is actually two patches ... well .... the panning drums is an INtro-patch that only consists of cymbals (can't remember which) and the other patches are mainly Fills (F1 and F2) and END-patterns. I think I only used a Verse-pattern for one or two measures. The main tempo is 70bpm I think but the short breaks/bridges are 140bpm for 2 measures.
The deal wit the panning cymbals is that I bounced one measure of that pattern to one track. Copied that measure 99x on the same track. Then I modded a guitarpatch with panning, sent the drumpattern through that effect (using LOCation 1&2 on the effect in bounce-mode).  When I had recorded all the other tracks and mixed then I added this drumtrack to the final mix.

That's just crazy -- talk about creatively pushing the MBR to its limits!  The engineers that made that thing were really smart about making it so flexible, on the one hand, but also probably had no idea that someone would actually do all that.  Wow, I'm impressed!  Makes me wonder what the Beatles woulda been able to do if each of them had a MBR in their pockets?
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Quote from: des0free on April 06, 2010, 10:16:20 PM
Quote from: Geir on April 05, 2010, 03:57:50 PM
The deal wit the panning cymbals is that I bounced one measure of that pattern to one track. Copied that measure 99x on the same track. Then I modded a guitarpatch with panning, sent the drumpattern through that effect (using LOCation 1&2 on the effect in bounce-mode).  When I had recorded all the other tracks and mixed then I added this drumtrack to the final mix.

That's just crazy -- talk about creatively pushing the MBR to its limits!  The engineers that made that thing were really smart about making it so flexible, on the one hand, but also probably had no idea that someone would actually do all that.  Wow, I'm impressed!  Makes me wonder what the Beatles woulda been able to do if each of them had a MBR in their pockets?

Yeah, I was impressed with that too, Geir...

When I was listening to the track I was wondering how you put the drums together, especially in so short a time... then when I read the explanation it was "aaah!... yeah... you da man :D"

So far, there's only a couple of things I've wanted that the MBR (or its big brother) won't let me do.

One is the ability to reverse a track (the Beatles reference made me think of this :)), not so much for backwards music, but I love backwards reverb... The only way I know of getting it is to reverse the track, get the reverb recorded, then reverse that back again... line it up with the original and whoooo!!

The other is connected actually, the ability to put reverb on a track pre or post fader. The BRs do it post fader, so the amount of effect is based on the volume you set for the track. I want to be able to separate those (or alternatively, be able to record the reverb return separately onto a track of its own for use in a mix down)... if you figures out how to do those, just let us know Geir... ;)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Kevin Mammoth

oozing class all over the place, top production.  I'm hearing a bit of Cream in the vocals - which can only be a good thing!
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....