Roland V Drums

Started by lerobe, August 19, 2008, 02:19:53 AM

Hi, newbie here (in fact I am still waiting for the BR to be delivered  :) ). I have a Roland TD-6V drum kit, does anyone know if it is as simple as plugging the kit into the line input ?
Cheers
Lee

guitarron

welcome to the forum-
yes that should do the trick

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hi, I recently recorded from a digital drum kit (Yamaha DTXPlorer). Yes,  in fact, use a standard 1/4 jack lead (normal guitar lead) into the 'Guitar In' input and the other end into your drums headphone output (or any 1/4 inch output) . This will provide a solid connection. However, I learned that distortion can be a problem when recording drums. To get around this problem you should put the drum volume down (i.e. not on full) and the Micro BR's input level as high as you can without the screen reading 'over'. With the drums, sometimes it can sound fine when you practice through the BR without recording, but when you actually record and play it back they may be slightly distorted. In this case think about either recording again (with a lower volume level on your drum kit) or if it doesn't really matter as you will have guitar, bass or vocals etc over the top, helping to cover the distortion. Hope this helps.

64Guitars

You should connect both the Left and Right outputs from your Yamaha drums (not the headphone output) to the Micro BR's Line In using suitable adapter cables. The output from the drums is the wrong level for the BR's guitar input. That's why you have a problem with distortion. Also, the guitar input is mono, so you're only getting one channel from your stereo drums. Using the DTXPlorer's separate Left and Right outputs into the Micro BR's stereo Line In will solve both problems.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website